Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Baby only feeds for a few minutes...help!

premama is offline Registered User

Baby only feeds for a few minutes...help!

My baby's just turned 4 months.

Up until a few weeks ago, she was exclusively breastfed but since I returned to work, she is being fed formula 3-4 times a day.

I'm not sure if it's related but since we started her on formula, everytime I feed her, she would only feed for a few minutes and is distracted very easily. I don't think she is "put off" breast milk since during the night when she's tired, she will drink more (but even then only for about 5 minutes before she falls asleep).

Has anyone encountered similar problems?

Any comments appreciated. Thanks!

mamaS is offline Registered User

Hi premama,

Formula makes him full, so it might be the reason, he's not hungry, try to schedule the BF after a few hours of formula. Bottle is easier and faster for them to suck, so they will surely prefer and wait for it. Don't schedule it at the same time.

Just my thought, not an expert, having difficulties with Bf too now.

Hey, if ever you found that xmas photo, pls let me know. Thanks.

aussie mum is offline Registered User

do you have the same problem with breast milk from a bottle? it might the slower flow from the breast that makes him distracted more easily. a friend of mine had this problem when she was combining the two.

premama is offline Registered User

Thanks for your replies! Yes, the flow of milk may be the problem...what can I do to make her drink more from the breast?

If anyone's personally experienced this, I would apprecate your comments. I don't want to have to stop breastfeeding so soon...

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User

Babies often start to get distracted, by almost everything, around the four month mark. Frequently mothers find that it is a time to stop breastfeeding in public because the baby keeps turning his head every time a noise is made.

One solution to this is to try to find cool, dark places to feed in. So that the distractions as minimized. Churches are often a good place to try if you are out and about in town.

The thing that worries me about your comments is the fact this stated at the same time that you returned to work and stared giving formula. It could be coincidence but ...

How are you managing to maintain your milk supply while at work? Are you pumping or allowing your breasts to remain full? The quickest way to send the message that you don’t want your milk any more is to leave your breasts full for too long. As your milk supply decreases the speed of the flow slows down. Often babies will only breastfeed while the flow is fast and become distracted when the flow slows down. Your body will be expecting the baby to feed at least six times every 24 hours. Are you managing to either feed or pump this many times?

If you think that this may be the problem then try to get your baby to feed when your breasts feel empty. The quickest way to increase your flow (and thus your supply) is to have the baby feed on empty breasts. One way is to spend the whole day and night in bed with the baby and encourage him to feed as often as possible. Don’t worry if you think you have no milk – we want the baby to feed on the empty breast. We call this putting in an order. Usually the order will be delivered the next day, or the day after.

Another suggestion is to replace the bottles with cups. This way the baby doesn’t get his sucking need fulfilled on the bottle and so is more likely to breastfeed because he needs to suck.

Best wishes,
    SARAH

mamaS is offline Registered User

********sorry, posted wrongly, don't know how to delete****

AG2007 is offline Registered User

My baby was the same since she was 4 mths (now 5 1/2 mths). Easily distracted and sometimes would only eat a few mins and not have anything for 2 hrs. Otherwise she normally eats for 5 mins/meal. They get very efficient in eating as they get older. It's hard to imagine that it used to take them 20 mins or more. Guess that's why they say it's easier as baby gets older. Apart from the distraction, they only eat for a short period of time.