Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Help! How to travel alone to Europe with a formula feeding baby?

Heikeli is offline Registered User

Help! How to travel alone to Europe with a formula feeding baby?

Hello,
    I am looking for mummies who traveld with their baby long distance.
    I will go back to Europe with christmas alone (my husband will come a week later) with my then 2 1/2 month old son.
    We will fly cathay pacific - economy (waiting for a miles upgrade, but because it will be fully booked the chance is low).

I tried to breastfeed, very sadly I couldn't - so I am formula feeding now and I have to take all those stuff with me....

How can you do formula feeding in a plane? Can you sterilize the bottles? Which water do you use?

What do you take home: a pram or just the baby bjoern? How to check in the pram?

How to avoid a cold? The weather will be so much colder....

Any tips are welcome!!!!!

Thanks in advance!!!

Heike

aussie mum is offline Registered User

Hi
    I flew from london to oz (and return) by myself when my son was 6 months old and formula fed - door to door my journey was more than 30 hours each way.

I took all the bottles i thought i would need and then added some. I had some avent formula containers with pre-measured amounts of formula - once again i took a few more feeds than i thought i would need.

Due to liquid restrictions i took an empty small thermos and had one of the restaurants at the airport fill it with boiling (hot) water for me. I then bought bottled evian water at the airport.
    That way I could mix the 2 water sources to get water to correct tempertaure and then add the formula.

I did not trust sterisling bottles on plane!! unfortunately on one leg of the flight my son fed small amounts more frequently and I had to wash one of the bottles on the plane and re-use it. the best you can do in that situation is make sure it is thoroughly dry before you use it.
    other than the hassle of preparing feeds the flight was a breeze with such a young baby!!

It sounds much more difficult than it is. you just need to be very prepared! Good luck.

I am flying back to Oz for xmas this year on my own with my 21 month old - the flight is much shorter from HK but I am still dreading it ;-)

mosmom is offline Registered User
    same here! my baby will be in her 5th month when i go back to europe with her (hubby will follow later). i am breastfeeding but my airline is nevertheless going to have milk ready for her (though i dunno about the cleanliness and what formula they use, but it'd be better than nothing in an emergency situation).
    i was very much worried about how to go about in the airport all alone and already considered renting a stroller. go on the website of the hk intl. airport, you'll find info there if you want to rent one. cost is 50.-/hr, rental for min. 4hrs. i've decided not to do that anyway, as i've found a wonderful mei tai (chinese baby carrier) which my baby likes, so i hope it'll be fine in that.
    besides, i booked an additional seat (econ., paid child's fare) and requested the sky cot/bassinet.
    i hope i am prepared!!

mosmom is offline Registered User

oh, and my current worry is how to deal with my own and bub's jetlag. omg!

MilkMonster is offline Registered User

Hi, we just flew from HK to Toronto. We as in me and my 10mth old son. The journey was do-able but like someone mentioned above you have to be prepared...that and have a sense of humour! Regarding the bottles, I just filled all the bottles in advance, (our son can drink his milk room temp/cold - we did this from the beginning with pumped milk straight from the fridge), we did not have any problems with security. For the formula, i have a dispenser that pours out the pre-measured amounts. We were lucky enough to have a whole row to ourselves, i think it would have been much harder if we only had the one seat...I requested this at check-in. usually if the flight is not full, they will accommodate you. I think it's easier with a younger baby. bring extra clothes and a blanket for surprise poop, vomit, etc. we went through all 3 sets of clothes...i brought the grobag onto the plane so it kept him warm (until he vomited on it). I also brought a sling on board to walk the baby around and so I could have my hands for toilet/eating/preparing stuff. for feeding the little one, i would suggest offering the bottle and then once more before the hour is up before you have to throw it away - only to conserve the bottles. Haha I have some pictures of our adventure up here, you can check them out if you're so inclined ;) GOOD LUCK!! You can totally do it!!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...f&id=693484497

MilkMonster is offline Registered User

sorry forgot to add, we travelled with the pram. and gate checked it. You may need to bring a car seat if it is required by law at your destination. I have also travelled with the sit-n-stroll which is great for older kids and lots of taxi travel while on holiday.