Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Short Parents= Short kids??

Neha is offline Banned

I agree with Jools there are alot more things that are worse than being short. I am 5.8 and my husband is 6.1 but our son is very short compared to all the kids as he was born very small and the dr says he wont be as tall as. but we dont care as long as he is healthy we are more than happy and I feel living in HK he will probably find clothes better being short

So just relax and 1st have a child and then worry about other things.

Bets of luck

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User

A general formula for working out how tall a child will be (even before the child is conceived) is:

girls = average height of mother and father

boys = average height of mother and father plus 6 inches.

Also remember the statistical theory of returning to the norm. This means that if you have two short parents the child is likely to be taller than them (nearer the average height) and if you have two tall parents then the child is likely to be shorter than them (again nearer the average height).

Nexo is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by DoraT View Post
    Dear Nexo
    So may be you should be 6' if your parents took care of your better (no offence).
    DT
    no heart feelings whatsoever,, actually ur not very far from the truth, as a child my diet wasnt really what u may consider as a healthy diet, i was a bit chubby as a kid and i only started to lose weight basically after i reached 18. Well,u mentioned Yau ming, but u could also hv mentioned about Michael Jordan, in case you don't know he is the only male of the Jordan's family that had ever reached six feet.

Quote Originally Posted by sky123 View Post
    As for genes, if any of the grandparents are relatively tall it maybe that your kids will be tall.
    Both my parents are what u may call as short people, they are both 5'4.But my dad is the smallest of his brothers, both my grandpa and some of his brothers reach the 5'7,5 mark

Quote Originally Posted by jools View Post
    So in the grand scheme of things if your child is a little shorter than their peers think yourself lucky. Rather than worrying about this, maybe you should be heading down to the doctors' clinic to have yourself and your wife genetically screened to make sure that you are not carriers of some hideous genetic illness.
    Dear Jools
    I'm really sorry for giving such a big importance to something so tiny, when compared to the problem u are living. Ur words really hv opened my eyes, and i will strongly follow ur advice. Best wishes for u and ur child, may god bless u all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12