Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

some basis questions

shenwen is offline Registered User

some basis questions

Hello everyone.

Hope you can help. have been searching the archives but it is all a bit confusing.

Here is my situation. I will arrive in HK at the start of January as which point I will be just over six months pregnant. I am due in early march and it is my first.

I am therefore looking to register at a hospital. I have received a pdf off a friend in HK which details booking for what it calls 'non-local women'.

First question: Am I considered non-local? I am mainland chinese by birth but will be on a dependency visa. The reason I ask is that I was not sure if this document was aimed at mainland women coming over the border to give birth.

Second question: B]presuming I fall into non-local capacity, are these public hospitals the best option?[/B]
    I have insurance but only covered for first US$6000. Will this stretch to some of the private hospitals? The type of fee quoted in the non-local childbirth pdf are HK38,000 for double room. The overall package looks good. Would you recommend this or should I pay more for private? In Singapore I am visiting Raffles Hospital and there fees are quite reasonable and service is first class. Their HK website gives little information though.

And finally: Where do i go from here? Can I register from my current home in Singapore? If so, which hospital is recommended? Should I go for convenience (I will live in Kowloon) or other factors?

Any help on this will go a long way to calming a lot of nerves and is most appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by shenwen; 11-26-2007 at 02:52 PM.

loupou is offline Baby Guru

Hi Shenwen,

If you're in HK on a dependent's visa, then you have a Hong Kong ID card.

I think that's all you need to be considered eligible.
    http://www.fhs.gov.hk/english/fee_ch...neral_pub.html

Here is some info. about antenatal checks at Maternal Child Health Centres
    http://www.fhs.gov.hk/english/doc_br/doc_br.html#as

Good luck!

val23 is offline Registered User

Hello Shenwen,

If you are able to get your HKID card, whetehr permanent or not, you can definitely use the public hospitals without paying for those fees. But since you stated that you have USD6K for insurance, it might be better for you to give birth in a private hospital. Depending on which hospital you use, you may just have to pay a little extra more (of course this is if there are no complications). Although the care and facilities in public hospitals are good (QMH), you may have a better experience in private care.

Good luck.

shenwen is offline Registered User

Hi.

Thanks for the quick replies. This puts my mind at rest a little. I wondered why the charges for public and private were almost the same. I think the info I was sent was aimed at mainland chinese without id card. It was sent by a friend who obviously was not sure I would have ID card.

I will definitely look into the options now.

Raffles say childbirth is HK$20,000 excluding hospital fees and anaesthesia fees . Any idea how much these would come to?

thanks

rani is offline Administrator

Have a read through this thread on Costs. Bear in mind this is what I spent 5 years ago and the rates have gone up slightly.

http://www.geobaby.com/forum/pregnan...regnancy+costs

DoraT is offline Registered User

Please book your appointment early, preferably before you set foot here. The waiting can be very long and rooms full even in the private. I need to wait 2 months just to book an appointment with my private obs. So if you got friends here you can seek their help. You can't hardly afford surprises at such stages.
    Welcome to HK.