Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Baby Vomitting

smo0262 is offline Registered User

Baby Vomitting

My 4-month old daughter is voimitting a lot, but it doesn't seem to cause any discomfort to her. When I burp her after each feed, there's so much wind comes out!

I wonder if it's my diet that creates the problem since she's exclusively breastfed. Should I be avoiding any kind of food?

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User

Baby Vomiting is unlikely to be caused of something in your milk. When mothers have problems with allergens passing through their milk to fully breastfed babies it tends to be in the form of rashes rather than vomiting.

Lots of vomiting when the baby is otherwise healthy is often because of reflux. Often taking more care with positioning can help. Position the baby so that gravity can help keep the milk from coming back up.
    • Baby may be most happy in an upright position (see straddle position picture)
    • Use a sling or front carrier to position the baby at breast level and nurse while standing or walking
    • Feed lying down, side by side, with baby elevated on mother's arm
    • Try feeding in a recliner or reclining on pillows on a bed. Put baby tummy to tummy with mother, face in to the breast.

Sometimes lots of small feeds help. The milk acts as a natural antacid and is soothing. However, if the baby overfills his stomach capacity, reflux symptoms can worsen. For this baby it may be helpful to nurse one breast at a time. As the lactating breast never truly empties, the baby will be rewarded with a slower flow of milk that may soothe a burning throat, but not overfill his stomach. Some mothers have reported pacifier use to be helpful for these babies.

If you would like more information about breastfeeding and reflux please contact me at [email protected]

Best wishes,
    SARAH

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	straddle position.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	111.1 KB 
ID:	294  

smo0262 is offline Registered User

Thanks Sarah. I've tried the upright position, am amazed of how much gas came up during nursing, but still she spit out some milk 1hr later! Will try the other suggestions and see how it goes.