Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Help! Baby refuses to drink milk

Konradsmom is offline Registered User

Actually I am in the same dire straits as jxoxo and limantari. Exactly the same story - won't feed after long hours, but each feeding is a battle. I don't want to make feeding an unpleasant experience for him but he has definitely dropped off the average weight curve. (he's on formular btw)

its clear that he's thinned but the doc says its Ok and to observe for a while, but I am still worried as this has happenhed for quite some time now ( over 1 month).

I have started to give him a bit of rice cereal to test, and at least he is interested and doesn't turn his head.

Any insights as to why this happens , or any experience to share v welcome.

jxoxo is offline Registered User

I started trying to offer milk only when he cries for it. It seems like he is hungry every 3.75 to 5.5 hours. Sometime, he will drink peacefully up to 6.5 oz. Sometime, he will yell after a few suckles and yell and sucks again. In this situation, he will at most take 3 oz. I am not sure why he has this behavior. But at least ,we can get him to drink while his eyes are open. I found out he can eat more peacefully in a quiet and dim environment. So I always have a "romantic" light setting and absolutely no noise in the room when feeding.

I still want to figure out why he would yell and drink at the same time. any idea? Thanks.

Jeanmom is offline Registered User

My daughter is now 6 months and 1 week old and we started having feeding issue about a week ago. I was sick and my milk supply dropped a lot and she started refusing to nurse in the evening. At the beginning, I thought it's just because of my slow let down and low milk supply. However, even now my supply has been back to normal, she still refuses to drink in the evening and even lunch time. I am very sad and feel rejected. I've heard babies refused to drink from bottles but not from breasts. Don't babies love the comfort from mama's breasts?

I cut down her solid and only feed her a couple spoonfuls of rice cereal in the evening 1 hour before nursing. She still pushes away from my breasts and I can only get her to drink when she is falling asleep in my arms.

any advice?

jajacha is offline Registered User

Hi limantari,

My son is now 6.5 months and he has been having the proble as you described for 3 months. I am going to lose my mind if he continues acting like this. I noticed that you haven't posted any new messages for quite sometime. Can I ask how's your son now? Did he finally go back to normal drinking? Or anybody out there can share their experience? I dunno what else to do I feel so much frustrated now. 3 months is torturing enough.

limantari is offline Registered User

Hi Jajacha,

My baby is now 8.5 month and the battle to make him drinking his milk is not yet ceased. I stopped feeding him breastmilk since 6.5 months, since then he feed only formula and some solid. I started feeding him some rice cereal when he was 5.5 months since it was really tiring to feed him only milk.Before solid was introduced, he had only 4 feeding time a day, 7 OZ per meal. I was really collapsing since I am a full-time working mom. It took him 1-1.5 hour to finish his milk and he completely refused to drink milk after 10.30 PM and just prefer to sleep.
    Now, he has 5 meals a day: milk after wake up, morning cereal with some purees, mid-day milk, afternoon rice-cereal and purees, and night milk. Feeding him solid is slightly better than feeding him milk. In order to make him drink his milk, we have to show him books and toys during feeding.
    I dont know if it is a harmful practice to show toys during feeding time, but we have no choice otherwise he will not take his meal.
    Even we have ever tried to just give him when he cried for it, it did not work. Unfortunately, he never seems to be hungry and prefer to play and observe around.
    I wonder if you have introduced your baby some solid.
    6.5 months is a right time to give him variety of solid food. He may get bored with the milk (just like my baby) and want to eat something else. Try to give him solid for 2 meals so at least you have 2 less stressful feeding time.
    I gave him Nestle H.A formula before and I believe it tastes really awful for my son. I have changed his milk into Goat Milk formula and it seems there is an improvement on his feeding time. He seems like it more so he drinks faster. I hope he will not AGAIN get bored and turn to be the same as before.

Dont be disheartened. I know exactly what you feel, since I have gone through that all the time. My life now is pre-occupied with how to feed him ontime and when will I have free time for myself. Furthermore he is a very active baby and just want to do a lot of somersault during feeding time. Only strong adult can handle him.

I hope introducing solid can make your life easier. Good luck!

jajacha is offline Registered User

Hi limantari,

Thanks for replying. Actually I've started to feed my son solid food when he's about 5 months old with the thought that he may be fed up with just milk. But I read in books that baby before 1 years old should still rely on milk as his main source for nutrients. That's why I'm still feeding him 5 times a day out of which only 1 meal is solid. Yesterday my son acted so good that he can drink all his milk open-eyed. Just when I thought he's back to normal this morning the same old problem came back. Sigh..... I share your feeling that my life is now pre-occupied with when to feed him and how to feed him so that he can finish his milk. I'm also a working mom and I have a Filipino maid at home to take care of the baby and my mom is also there to supervise. But still I feel so tensed about his bad drinking habbit. I really hope this could end soon. At first I felt saddened and I cried a lot. Now I found myself developing this anger feeling towards my son. How do you cope with this problem emotionally? How do you stay calm over all what is happening?

limantari is offline Registered User

Hi Jajacha,

I completely understand what you feel. I am now also undergoing the emotion roller-coaster every day. I phoned my mom in law few times a day to make sure that he has finished his meal on time. He just will not drink his milk after 9 PM and prefer to sleep. This also the reason that I never be able to return home late and have fun outside after works. My mother in law is just simply too tired to watch him after 9 PM. This is not like working, where we can have day-off on weekend. We can not take dayoff not taking care of him. It's simply 7 days and 24 hours of duty. I did have some anger to my son because he's wasting so much time and make our life so much more inflexible and full of anxiety. However, seeing him growing up, happy and healthy is such a blessing for me that I never imagine life without him. Seeing him smile just makes me melt and forgets all the tiredness of taking care of him. You may also try to look at thing in the more positive side. Once he grows up, eat more solid, I am sure your life will be so much easier. Being a mom is so rewarding.
    Remember that you are not alone. I thought I was the only mom with difficult baby before. I consulted all my friends that have kids including my mom, and none of them have experienced this problem.
    I wish you good luck and happy parenting!

Konradsmom is offline Registered User

I don't know if this would be much help, but I had the same issue with bubs too - just hates his bottle. I started him on solids when was just over 4 months, but it didn't work, I guess because he just wasn't ready at that time. But now that he is 7 months, he is finding new interest in his solids and for the first time, he willingly opens his mouth for his solids.

He still does a bit of wrestling with his bottle, but it has improved a lot from a few weeks ago. So I guess perhaps it takes time to work out.

I had the same depressed feeling when he wasn't eating well, and all I had was my helper at home ( parents only come once in a while), and I was on the verge of tears as well, but I know that being angry with him would only make things worse - babies are so sensitive . I guess we can only just let them be and as I was told again and again - ALL THIS WILL PASS

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast