Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

good mix of chinese and english education

eltina is offline Registered User

good mix of chinese and english education

hi, i was wondering which schools offer the best mix of english and chinese education? id like my child to learn chinese, more so than english actually, but also have good knowledge of english.
    do ESF schools accomodate chinese well? i have heard from some students from ESF schools that they really just learn english and hardly if any chinese.

joannek is offline Registered User

your best bet is probably IMS (int'l Montessori school), Chekiang Int'l, Victoria Shanghai. They're all bi-lingual.

Buckeroo is offline Registered User

For preschools, you shd check out Tutor Time. They do 50% in English and 50% in Mandarin. I've been told that many students from Tutor Time graduate on to good int'l schools.

My son currently goes there and we've been quite happy with his progress. We don't speak Mandarin (or any Chinese) at home, but he's since picked up so much (sings Chinese songs, says thank you/you're welcome, knows his shapes and colors in Chinese, etc.) I like the fact that they're truly 50/50 English/Chinese, as opposed to just having one short segment of the 3-hour session in Chinese, like some of the schools that we've checked out initially. During English, only English is spoken; during Chinese, only Mandarin is spoken.

You can call them up and schedule a school tour or maybe even ask for a trial class --if your child is young enough to be in their toddler activity group (TAG).

Good luck.

Oh, I heard that ISF (Independent School Foundation) in Cyberport is good, too --as is CIS (Chinese Int'l School).

papaof2 is offline Registered User

Hi Buckeroo... I'm going to Hong Kong next month and am planning to put my 3 yr old son in Tutor Time. Is your child going there for 1/2 day or whole day? How much are the fees?

thanks!

Our son is going there only from 9am-12 noon. They do have "extended" programs, though, where your child can stay until either 2:30pm or 4:30pm.

For K1, the current fee is HK$6,500 per month. I'm not sure what the fees are for the extended program, but I'm sure you can email them and ask. They're generally pretty good with responding.

Your child might even end up in the same class as our son! :)

rani is offline Administrator

Here's a list of Int'l Kindergartens on HK and includes school fees
    http://www.geobaby.com/articles/educ...g-kong-island/

Dr.Mickey is offline Registered User

I'm planning to put my twin daughters in Tutortime, too. Can anyone tell me what's the teacher and child ratio? and how many children for one class????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast