Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Can newborn and 2 year old sleep in the same room?

meimei is offline Registered User

Can newborn and 2 year old sleep in the same room?

HI moms,
    I'm currently pregnant and am planning to move in a couple of months. Can someone advise if it's possible to put my 2 year old and newborn in the same room? My older one is a very light sleeper and now she wakes up very easily. I'm worried they will both mess up each other's sleeping schedule. But it's really hard to make another room in the house... Pls. give me some advise! Thanks!

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User

It is advised that a newborn sleep in the same room as the parents for the first six months.

By the time your second baby is six months you will know how much he wakes at night and have more idea whether the two children can sleep together.

aussiegal is offline Registered User

I agree with Barb, it's better for everyone that the newborn sleep with you. Newborns wake so much it wouldn't be fair to your two year old. When our baby was 4 months old we moved him in with his 20 month old baby. It was ok for a few months but then we went away and when we got back everyone's sleeping was out and things got completely out of hand. The baby would be put to sleep first but has always been a light sleeper so would wake up if his brother so much as said good night to us (let alone the occasional screaming match we got). That would set the 20 month off who would then start to play up and it would go on like that for hours. We had to separate them.

If your baby turns out to be a great sleeper that's one thing but it's not just about them, it's about your older child who you admit is a light sleeper. You could end up ruining their sleeping patterns and i've heard horror stories of previously good sleepers becoming terrible sleepers if anything is done to change their sleeping arrangements.

good luck, it can be tough in HK's small apartments.

kashismum is offline Registered User

I didn't put my firstborn in her own room right away since I couldn't be bothered to get up to her 2 or 3 times a night. The same applies to a subsequent child and I still have my 10 month in my bed.

I'm just now going to start the process of having him sleep next to his sister but I can forsee that it won't be easy. Once one starts to cry, s/he sets off the other one.

At this age, I'm willing to give it a try and convince them that they can be company for one another and don't need me! But, a newborn just wants to be cuddled in the beginning (in my experience) so it's easier to co-sleep or have a basket by your bed.

HTH!