Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

TUEN MUN hospital - anyone been there?

hkaussie is offline Registered User

TUEN MUN hospital - anyone been there?

Looking for experiences from those who had babies in Tuen Mun hospital...

For people living in the Gold Coast and Tuen Mun, it seems that they are enforcing the zoning rule that means we have to go to Tuen Mun hospital to have babies. I have not really heard a lot of good stories about this hospital, but if you can't afford to go to a private hospital, there's no choice but to use Tuen Mun if you live in this area.

Any feedback on this hospital?

I have heard: husband can't be there for the birth, antenatal classes are not offered in English, epidurals are only available in business hours, weekdays, etc etc.

spockey is offline Registered User

I've heard terrible things about giving birth at Tuen Mun from another mum. Her advice was to skip Tuen Mun if you can afford to go elsewhere i.e. private or to another public hospital if it's possible.

Yes spockey, that's what I've heard from one or two Mums. I would love to hear other first hand experiences though. There is simply no other option in this case because private is too expensive and they will NOT budge on the zoning issue.

spockey is offline Registered User

To deliver at Tsuen Wan Adventist is cheaper than all other private hospitals (I think) but their pre-natal package is not pricey. It's less than AUD1000.

When our bub was ill and needed to be hospitalised, that (Tuen Mun Hospital) was the last place everyone advised us to go to... we were told to take a cab to Central then call for an ambulance if needed as they'd drop you off at a hospital in Central which I presume would be Queen Mary. A local mother I spoke to had most of her care in the district but in the last weeks to labour lived in Central so that she could deliver at Queen Mary. You could also hop into a cab when the contractions begin and head to Central and call a cab?

Koan is offline Registered User

I haven't had a baby there, but was admitted to TM at 27wks. It was very noisy and crowded, there were about 20 women in the ward. I've heard they won't allow the father to be with you during labour and delivery. But the quality of medical care was fine.

Can't you get a referral to another public hospital? I'll be delivering at POW some time in the next week (I HOPE! Hurry up baby!), I just got a referral from the MCHC and my private OB and registered there. It was easy.

Thanks Koan, are you saying you're in the Tuen Mun area but got referred to POW?? Or are you in the area for POW anyway?

pikelet08 is offline Registered User

Hi HK aussie,

I am also in the Tuen Mun area and scheduled to deliver at Tuen Mun hospital. Have started going to the clinic for check ups which have gone well. The staff were all friendly, spoke English and were happy to answer questions.

I hear that the hospital care is as good as anywhere. We will hope to get my husband in for the delivery although we know there are no guarantees.

Koan is offline Registered User

I'm in Yuen long district but I asked to go to POW and got a referral. My not living in the POW area was never an issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast