Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Please help - US Visa for Helper

jaetee is offline Registered User

Please help - US Visa for Helper

Sorry to re-visit a previously posted-on topic but....

Has anyone recently (within the last 6 months to 1 year) been granted a visa for their DH to go with them to the US for a few weeks?

1) What type of temporary employment contract did you draft up? Did you have to pay the "average wage for an 8-hour day plus overtime" as stated on the US Consulate website?

2) Any other helpful hints for a successful application?

We will be going to the US in a couple of months and we will be unable to take care of baby for 5 days during the day (we will both be working) and are hesitant to leave baby with a babysitter that LO is not familiar with, so hopefully our DH will be able to get a visa. (And she is looking forward to visiting the US as well.)

Any hints posted here or via PM are greatly greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

aussiegal is offline Registered User

Sent you a PM.

heidypie is offline Registered User

Helper visa US

I am in the same boat. Please let me know as well as we are leaving for Boston, in April 08 and would like to bring our helper with.
    thanks.

jeanie is offline Registered User

Would anyone pls kindly give me a hint too? If there is a way?

I gave up last year for the US minimum salary reason...

peony731 is offline Registered User

I successfully applied for my DH's visa to go to the US for 1 1/2 months in Sept '08. It's possible to take them with you as long as you are not relocating back to the US and are only going to be there for a short period of time. You have to fill in an application, write a supporting letter, and you have to write up a contract between you and your DH saying that you will pay them U.S. wages during the duration of their stay, as well as provide them free room & board and take care of their airfare.

You submit the application, they go for an interview at the consulate, and depending on your case and whoever is reviewing your case, you will know on the spot whether or not they have been granted one or not as they will take your DH passport and send it back to them a few days later with a visa stamped in it.

It's relatively easy process as long as you are not trying to bring your DH to the US permanently or for long term. I paid my DH the US hourly wage b/c I think it's the fair thing to do. Some people don't pay them the US wages...but the person who interviewed my helper at the consulate made it a point to tell my DH that she must be paid US wages. I really don't think it's worth it to get in trouble by not paying.