Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Gluten Free food in Hong Kong?

Lali07 is offline Registered User

Smile Gluten Free food in Hong Kong?

Hi,

I'm new to Geo Baby, we're moving to Hong Kong in March. As yet we don't have any babies so I hope its ok to post here.... I just thought Mums would be the right people to ask - are gluten free food products readily available in Hong Kong? If so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

JoTs is offline Registered User

I had a friend come and visit HK in October who has a gluten free diet. It wasn't that easy finding stuff, but I searched around and she managed for a week. The great thing is that rice is always an option (plenty of that here!) but there is gluten in soya sauce - so when we were at restaurants we had to check that they didn't put soya sauce on anything.

I found some gluten free products in our local Wellcome - as well as some in the European/Western supermarkets like Olivers & 360.

So all in all, definitely not as easy as in the UK, but not impossible either

Hope that helps.

Jo

Lali07 is offline Registered User

Yes lucky I love rice! Thanks Jo :-)

barbiegirl is offline Registered User

There is a shop called "Little Giant" in a building on Lockhart Road Causeway bay, you may take a look at their website www.littlegianthk.com. They sell a variety of healthy food product (including gluten free food and soy sauce), they do delivery too. You may call them at 2573 3610 to find out more.

HTH

Ali71 is offline Banned

I have found quite a few shops stock gluten free ranges: Healthgate, Green Concepts, and 360. Plus also its really easy to get Japanese soba (buckwheat) noodles and different rice products. As with everything in Hong Kong the selections in the supermarkets are different from the UK and US, but after a bit of exploring you soon get to know which ones stock what.

HappyV is offline Registered User

2nd post of yours that I am interested in today, cheriwopark. :yeah2 Could you PM me the details, please?