Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

anyone with children at International Montessori School?

somebodyfamous is offline Registered User

anyone with children at International Montessori School?

What do you think? Is it worth it? Do they teach Mandarin? (Its hard to tell from their website)

I like the fact they can start at preschool and go all the way to 12 years old.

Neha is offline Banned

we are going to visit the school on 28th feb. they have another meeting on 14th feb. u can go and visit and find out more details

Thanks Neha!

mommy sara is offline Registered User

yes, they have mandarin. most classes are 75% english, 25% mandarin, but one is the opposite. playgroup from 18 months can be either 100% mandarin or english.

Thanks Sara!

joannek is offline Registered User

currently their toddler mandarin class lead teacher is from malaysia. a lot of mom don't like that cos they're hoping for accurate putonghua accents, and quit their children. the assistant teacher speak hong kong style mandarin (if you know what i mean).

but they're definitely one of the better school who use authentic montessori methods.

chubbysan is offline Registered User

hi joannek,

do u know if the toddler class @ IMS good? other than the language, is the class well conducted & are the toddler teachers being able to engage with the student? I really appreciate yr feedback.

thanks!

joannek is offline Registered User

at the montessori method, there isn't much "engaging". the kids are there to do their own "work". this is how it goes :
    1st 30mins, playtime on the indoor playground. usually the kids play with their mom/helper.

then it's work time for 45mins. where the teacher goes around showing the children how to do the "work". maybe for 3 mins each child, a teacher will be showing a child. snack time has also become an individual thing (they used to have snack time together, but since dec 07, they've changed snack time to individual time, letting the kids decide when they'll have the snack.)

last 15 mins, circle time, where they sing songs, do some counting, and passing on an item (a plastic toy animal or a pc of fake fruit). then story time - usually 3 or more of the 13 kids will be walking around in the class rm, where 2 or 3 other helpers are chatting.

i think from this post you get the idea that i don't like the class so much despite that my child went there for 10 mths. i don't know how it is at other playgroups, but at IMS, it seems to me that the teachers are not "engaging" much to the children.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast