Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

moving to HK from the US

Omerliane is offline Registered User

Smile moving to HK from the US

HI,

WE are relocating to HK from the US at the end of april.
    I have several questions:
    1. can we bring our american electrical applainces to HK?
    (refrigerator, washer, dryer, computers, TV'S)
    2.we are looking for a mandarin speaking maid- do you familiar with a good agency?
    thanks,

carang is offline Registered User

you would need converters and transformers for all of your appliances as they are different voltages

if you don't know where you are going to live yet, and have the dimensions, i would LEAVE your appliances at home. things are relatively inexpensive here and the housing maybe smaller than what you are used to. (TV's even run off a different system, so unless you have a "multi-system" tv, forget it.)

rebekah is offline Registered User

Agree with cara; The only thing I would bring is computers and any worthwhile monitors (if you have a nice big flat screen it's worth it, if its something basic may be easier to replace it here), just make sure the power boxes say they can accept 220 (should say 110-220) and you'll need an adapter.

eflats is offline Registered User

I also agree. don't bring appliances it's not worth it and they are pretty inexpensive here. Depending on your housing budget the spaces tend to be smaller then you're used to and you won't be able to fit as much as you think. Another tip as we just went through our housing search is you may also want to think about not bringing too many dressers as a lot of apartments don't have closets, instead they either have nothing and you need to buy an armoire type thing or they have built-ins with drawers and hanging rods. I'm going to have to get rid of 2 of the four dressers (and they're not even big ones) that I brought with me. Hope this is helpful.

Sleuth is offline Registered User

Are you coming without looking first? Like was mentioned above, things will be smaller, some will have built-in units, etc...
    And to echo the above--don't bring the appliances.
    Unless you have a really large housing budget (or really, really small US appliances) you'll need a second apartment for your washer, dryer and refrigerator. And I bet onky the dryer runs on 220.
    Chances are your TV will not work here.
    Computer should be fine, but carry the hard drive with you, don't subject it to abn ocean crossing or you will soon be buying a new one. And back-up your files before leaving, just in case.
    Monitor will have the same voltage issue--check to make sure it takes 220. Most computers do, most monitors don't.

mommy sara is offline Registered User

Leave as much as possible behind. there is almost no space here. Even your furniture will look huge here, never mind the US sized appliances. Moving them is much more trouble than it's worth.

As for the helper, you cannot hire from the mainland but you might be able to find someone who learned mandarin, maybe they worked in Singapore or something. Try not to use an agency, just ask friends for reccomendations. Most agencies cheat the maids and you can find a good helper without one. I also tried to find one who speaks Mandarin but in the end I'm glad to have one that speaks cantonese, she can help communicate. Anyway most helpers don't speak correctly so I don't want her teaching my kids. You hear many Chinese kids speaking "maids' english" and believe me you don't want it.

brainleacher is offline Registered User

Contrary to what everybody else said, I think you can bring your small kitchen appliances along as well as TV, game consoles, computers. If you ship one than there is almost no difference in money to ship them all. However, in regards to the converter you SHOULD buy them already in the US, because here they are hard to get and they are damn expensive.

eflats is offline Registered User

where can you buy converters here? I can't find them anywhere and we'll need some.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast