Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree2Likes

Getting an Australian passport for HK born baby

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

I don't have a British passport - although I have grandparents who were born there. I don't want the hassle/expense of getting one - there's no benefit to me, I don't think... I don't even know the requirements and all that...

One of the hard things is knowing whether to book the ticket BEFORE the baby is born, or whether to wait and book it after - but then it'd DEFINITELY be more expensive, and harder to get tickets... it's Christmas time!! I know it'd be "easier" to just travel say in March or something instead - but Christmas is really important to me... ugh. I'm already stressing! Maybe I should be induced at 38 weeks or something ;) ;)

Bear Lau is offline Registered User

Nicolejoy,
    Don't worry, you will have sufficient time to get the AUS passport.
    More important, due to the miainland Chinese the birth registry is full all the time. So go there earlier(1/2 hr before it open)to make sure you will get the quota for the day. If you already download all the forms and have the right photo ready, you could apply for the citizenship certificate on the same day (Aus consulate close at 12N)
    Regarding the ticket booking, I will suggest you to book it in advance since there are limited bassinet seat on one flight.(one of my friend end up have to hold the baby to NY) If they ask for the age of the baby, make it up, as long as it is under 6 months,its OK. I did it before(CX) for my baby girl for Easter since my due day was March. You could always adjust the DOB later but you have to decide on your baby's name before she born.

Good luck and relax.....

Bear Lau:

milb is offline Registered User

I applied for baby's citizenship & passport last Oct. Can't recall exact processing time for each. But I remember we started applying on 8 Oct and already flying out on 19 Oct!!

And don't forget...you have to get an Aussie, not related to you, with certain professions (banker, lawyer,etc) to sign one of the application forms, can't remember it's for citizenship/passport. You can download the application forms from the Internet to check it out.

For photos, I just took baby to Fotomax and they can keep taking until you find one suitable (with then 7-month old baby looking straight to camera with the mouth closed....argh!).

peainpod is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by milb View Post
    And don't forget...you have to get an Aussie, not related to you, with certain professions (banker, lawyer,etc) to sign one of the application forms, can't remember it's for citizenship/passport. You can download the application forms from the Internet to check it out.
    Not if you are applying from abroad. For overseas applications, proof of identity can be completed by "a citizen of the applicant's country of residence" [i.e. Hong Kong] employed in one of the stated occupational groups.

(It's in the fine print on the application form.)

milb is offline Registered User

really?! I must have missed the fine print and forced my Aussie friend come all the way to my house and signed for me..hehe..that's what the friends are for I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by peainpod View Post
    Not if you are applying from abroad. For overseas applications, proof of identity can be completed by "a citizen of the applicant's country of residence" [i.e. Hong Kong] employed in one of the stated occupational groups.

(It's in the fine print on the application form.)

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

That's easy for us anyway because my husband works at an Australian law firm - lots of Australian lawyers there!

I'm stressing less about this now - thanks guys! You're awesome!!

tstmum is offline Registered User

A tip re getting the passport photo. After trying and trying and trying and trying to get bub to lie on a white sheet and look at me for the photo, I gave up and went to the photo place in IFC mall. It's on the third floor, might be a Fotomax (not sure), but if you go upstairs from Dymocks it's not far from there. They got me to hold bub in front of the correct background (as he was too young to hold his head up himself), got the photo first go and then simply used Photoshop or similar to remove my hand from the photo. Saved hours of frustration at home!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123