Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

DH Transferring to New Employer - Procedures & Info

haniikwok is offline Registered User

DH Transferring to New Employer - Procedures & Info

Hi,

I'm hiring a helper who is finishing her contract in May, I'm not going through an agency, what do I need to watch out for? What are the procedures?

The helper said her visa is still valid so she doesn't need to go back to the Phillippines before commencing work, however, she must go back there before Dec 2008 cos she last returned Dec 2006. How long should I let her go back for? Do I provide her with the air ticket? Or should that be paid for by her previous employer?

Further, I plan to have her take medical exams before commencing work with us in May, but I'm slightly worried that if I let her go back to Phillippines later this year she comes back pregnant or contracted some other illnesses........what are my rights?

Thanks in advance for any advice!!! :p

haniikwok is offline Registered User

I managed to speak to someone at the HK Immigration Office to answer all my queries.

Apparently if the DH's visa is due to expire in Dec, it means her contract too is due to expire round that time. So her employment contract with her current employer is ending prematurely. Immigration office issues DH's working visa based on the employment contract - 2 years.

If I still want to hire her, I will need to sign the employment contract, together with application forms ID989 and ID988 (all available at the Immigration Office 2/F Wanchai) to apply for a new working visa for her, this will take about 6 weeks and during this time the DH MUST return to Phillippines and wait for her new visa to be approved. Air ticket for her to go back to Phillippines should be paid for by her previous employer, and I pay for her to fly to HK after her new visa has been approved.

I will also have to pay for the fees for the visa application but she pays for her passport renewal (if required).

The officer advices me the best way to do this is to check her passport for the stamp issued by the immigration office, validity and check her references thoroughly (call up her previous employer) to find out why her contract is to be terminated prematurely.