Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Learning Mandarin?

Rocketdog is offline Registered User

Learning Mandarin?

What's the best way of getting a pre-school kid to learn Mandarin in Hong Kong? (age two and a half).

kashismum is offline Registered User

What language(s) has s/he been exposed to so far?
    The short answer is 'exposure'. The long one depends on many factors.
    We started exposing our daughter to some Mandarin (once a week) at 7 months. It was a regular playgroup environment. Now, at 2 1/2, she's at nursery with 50/50 English & Mandarin.
    HTH.

josoo is offline Registered User

Learning Mandarin

I tried having classes for my daughter, twice a week, but she didn't like it at all. I've also tried Mandarin playgroups, but believe once/twice a week of 1.5 hour sessions doesn't really cut it.

After many many considerations we hired a Chinese nanny (originally from Beijing) to look after her. The nanny takes care of her, plays with her so it doesn't seem like a lesson. She takes to the language a lot easier now and the nanny spends 6-hours a day, five days a week, hanging out with her.

I am considering on either IFS or CIS for my daughter. I think the kids have to enjoy learning a new language and it has to be fun. You have to tailor something that suits your child.

My aim is for her to have a good understanding of Mandarin, before she gets put in an environment where they speak it. Then she'll learn a lot easier....

I recall having Chinese lessons at 8-years old and hated them. I never learnt how to read or write, even though my mother tried so hard with the tutor, and now realise what a major disadvantage it has been.

Sage is offline Registered User

Hi joosoo,
    I totally agree with you about learning Chinese. I "tried" learning Mandarin from ages 6-12 too. I truly regret not sticking with it or trying harder!
    I am currently looking for a Chinese nanny for my daughter and am interested in those from Beijing. How do I go about it? How did you find/hire yours? The only ones I heard of are from Taiwan.

josoo is offline Registered User

Learning Mandarin

I found mine through The Methodist Centre and it's around $50 per hour. I pay anywhere bewtween $5k-7k per month depending on the number of hours, as there are so many public holidays. It's worked out great so far. Good luck!

Sage is offline Registered User

Thanks very much, joosoo! :)

Rocketdog is offline Registered User

Thanks everyone for your suggestion.
    Can I ask Josoo a few more questions.

What's the Methodist centre? -- excuse my ignorance, I'm only moving to Hong Kong in a few few weeks.

And I take it that the nanny only comes during the day time and is not live-in?
    Is it possible to get a live-in helper/ nanny or whatever is the technical term?

cheers