Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

local primary change to int'l school

mabelluk is offline Registered User

local primary change to int'l school

Hi

Does anyone has experience that your kids finished P1 to P6in local primary school and after that changed to int'l school. I want my daughter to learn better chinese when she is young since chinese character is more difficult than Eng but worry that the envoirnment, classmates and teachers' style will have a great difference from local schools, can kids easily accepted the changes? Pls share your experience.

Thanks

mintycat is offline Registered User

I went to a local school and then switched to an international school after P6, but that was 20 years ago. I think it was easier back then as there were more spaces at international schools but it can still be done as long as her English foundation is strong. I know a couple of friends whose kids did that recently. In fact, my cousins all switched before P.6 from local school to ESF schools.

Yes the environment and teaching style is very different but I didn't find it hard to adjust and in hindsight, I really blossomed and thrived in an environment that didn't make academics the sole focus of an education. I treasure my time at the international school and still look back fondly at it.

mabelluk is offline Registered User

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Quote Originally Posted by mintycat View Post
    I went to a local school and then switched to an international school after P6, but that was 20 years ago. I think it was easier back then as there were more spaces at international schools but it can still be done as long as her English foundation is strong. I know a couple of friends whose kids did that recently. In fact, my cousins all switched before P.6 from local school to ESF schools.

Yes the environment and teaching style is very different but I didn't find it hard to adjust and in hindsight, I really blossomed and thrived in an environment that didn't make academics the sole focus of an education. I treasure my time at the international school and still look back fondly at it.