Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Bug Repellent and itch cream

sfnative is offline Registered User

Bug Repellent and itch cream

Now that the bugs have come out, I wanted to find out if any of you have been given names of safe brands to use during pregnancy from your doctor's office. I was able to get the name for an anti-itch creme, Anthisan, from my doctor's nurse. Is there a bug repellent that is safe to use? I got my first BIG MAMA mosquito bite today, so I want to stock-up on whatever I can. Thanks!

spockey is offline Registered User

This is not prescribed by a doctor but recommended by friends:
    I eat an orange, a banana and use the Samsara bodybutter & bodywash (from BodyShop) everyday to curb the attacks! I remember the BIG MAMA mozzie bites and those little sandfly bites that became BIG HUGE RED inflammations when I first moved here. Good Luck!

katiefran is offline Registered User

Smile

Hi there, I also stepped outside the other day and got half a dozen bites almost instantly...grrr! As I'm not keen on smothering myself in DEET, I've bought a repellent called Licabo that is made of natural oils like citronella, cedarwood, lemongrass, lavendar & peppermint. I haven't used it yet so I don't know how effective it is - if nothing else at least I'll smell nice! But I heard that mosquitoes hate lavendar.

sfnative is offline Registered User

Thanks

Thanks a million for your comments and advice. I will try all your advice and see how things go. Thanks so much! Hope we can all stay bite free between now and end of summer!

spockey is offline Registered User

A friend today just told me of this remedy for all the nasty bites: A chamomile tea bath! She suggested tossing a few chamomile teabags into the bath with warm water and soaking yourself in it. Supposed to help ease the itch.

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User

I just buy the yellow citronella anti mosquito patches...I put them on the back of my toddlers t-shirt, on his pushchair.....and when he's wearing it he's never been bitten.