Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

solely breastfeed baby constipated

adahc is offline Registered User

Unhappy solely breastfeed baby constipated

My son who is 3.5months has not poo for 6 days. Hes been doing this since he was 3 months old. The GP gave me the gelatine to stick it in his bum, which makes him poo straight away (within 2 minutes). His poo is normal apart from the smell that stinks the room!
    I never use formula for him, breastfeed only. I try to at fruite and vegetable everyday, although not every meal. There was once that I ate something spicy which makes him poo the next day. Shall I try that again?
    Now I fear that if I stop breastfeed him at 6 months as plan, it will make him worse.

mintycat is offline Registered User

Mine is exclusively breastfed too and she is now 10 months. It's quite normal for these babies not to poop for many days as breastmilk is easily digested. The longest mine went without poop was a week and she never showed any signs of constipation or discomfort. My ped said that's ok if she seems ok and that she is having wet diapers. When mine pooped after a week, it's a huge one. My ped said the longest a breastfed baby has not pooped in his care is 20 days but he was fine.

If your baby is not straining to poop and he seems fine, just let it be. Once mine went on solids, she is pooping about once a day or once every 2 days.

Sage is offline Registered User

My daughter was exclusively breastfed up to six months and the longest she went without pooing was 15 days! Her paediatrician, Dr. Alfred Tam, was very cool about it. He didn't give her anything to induce poo. Other than not pooing, she was happy and healthy. When she finally did poo, it came out soft, confirming that it was NOT constipation. Dr. Tam told us that the longest a baby went without pooing, under his care, was 18 days. Exclusively breastfed, of course. If bub is not exclusively breastfed, then, there is a real concern.
    So, don't worry. Your bub is fine, so long as he is happy, healthy and eating and sleeping well.

Konradsmom is offline Registered User

sorry to side track here, but my side is 7 months and on formula and solids. He only poos every 2-3 days and he is not very good with taking water.

I don't think there are other options than to give him prune juice - but which type do you give babies? the adult ones( del monte bottles) or are there prune juice for babies?

I hear papaya works too, but not sure if its the right age for him to start on papaya.

Any advice appreciated.

adahc is offline Registered User

My midwife suggested 1 teaspoon of brown sugar with warm water of 1 ounce or 1 tea spoon of orange juice for my 3 months baby. I'm still unsure about it to be honest. I'd rather wait a little more.

mintycat is offline Registered User

Konradsmom ~ My daughter was constipated for the first few weeks once she was on solids, so I gave her Gerber apple and prune juice and dilute it with water and it seemed to help my daughter. You can buy it at Park n Shop. Even though I make my own baby food, but for her constipation, I also bought the apple and prune puree (I forgot the brand but I found it at Citysuper, I think it was organic).

Pears and papayas help too. She tried them around 7-8 months with no problem.

Konradsmom is offline Registered User

Thanks Mintycat, I think I'll try papaya , as it works for me too !!

I heard the same story about 1 tspn of orange juice to help constipation, but I'm also holding back on this one !!

rani is offline Administrator

We followed Gina Ford's book of weaning and she recommends 1 serving/day of pureed pear to prevent constipation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast