Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I am utterly dissappointed

geomum is offline Registered User

Unhappy I am utterly dissappointed

Hi everyone,
    Sadly my arthritis has come back after 1 month of delivering my baby, during my entire pregnancy I was fine. The doc says in order to take medication for it, I will have to stop breastfeeding my baby, which makes me very upset. I was planning to breastfeed for atleast an year. Did anyone had a similar problem where they had to stop breastfeeding due to some illness? What did you do? Any suggestions? I do not want to put my baby on formula :((

spockey is offline Registered User

Hi Geomum. I know how you feel. I tried to breastfeed but couldn't. I had an VERY BAD reaction to it. It was hard to accept especially at a time when ALL midwives and mums I encountered advocated breastfeeding as THE OPTION otherwise... But you know, it's ok. I was in a great hospital and had great follow up to help me deal with my guilt about not being able to breastfeed. My bub is 2 and he's been swell without having been breastfed from day 1!

Coco is offline Registered User

Have you tried any alternative therapies ? Just a suggesion. Dr. Troy Sing is a very very good acupuncturist and TCM doc which I trust totally. Try and get a consult with him and maybe he can help: 25267908. Don't give up just yet.....

jools is offline Registered User

Check with La Leche League, they have a book of the most up to date information on medications and their impact on breast milk. Often doctors are over cautious with medications and their effects on breast milk. It's worth a look, just to make sure that your decision is completely informed.

Good luck!

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User

If you e-mail me at [email protected] with the names of the drugs I can look them up in Medications and Mothers’ Milk by Thomas Hale.

This will tell you whether or not the drugs you need to take are safe and be able to suggest other options if the first drug isn’t suitable.

I can photocopy the relevant pages for you to share with your doctor. Sometimes doctors don’t realize how important breastfeeding is to a mother until she explains that she really don’t want to stop and helps the doctor find alternative medicine.

Best wishes,
    SARAH

La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

kashismum is offline Registered User

geomum,
    Please take Sarah up on her offer. I used this book during lengthy negotations on suitable drugs for an infection with a microbiologist. It transpired that I didn't take anything, but it takes some determination not to cave in at the first suggestion of your giving up BF. It certainly needn't be the end.
    There may be clinical or herbal alternatives.
    Good luck.

spockey is offline Registered User

Geomum
    I should have clarified that I had no other option. So, yes, you should explore all options. My colleague recently had some trouble and used acupuncture and it worked.
    But if you have explored all possible options, don't feel lousy about not being able to breastfeed.

LeahH is offline Registered User

Dr Jack Newman gave me this info on medication and breastfeeding. Amazingly, he also answers emails directly with specific questions and is a real authority on this type of problem.

Attached Files Attached Files

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast