Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

baby pimples

louisouis is offline Registered User

baby pimples

My 6 week old baby had developed some tiny pimples (tiny bumps) on his face for the past 2 weeks, they become very red right after his bath. At first I thought it was caused my application of moisturiser (Mustela) and the hot weather. But since then I had stopped applying moisturiser and switched on the air conditioning whenever the weather gets warm. As I feed my baby with both breastmilk and formula (I have a very pitiful supply of breastmilk... but never mind.. that is another story), I was told that it could be my breastmilk or the formula (Morinaga)that is too 'heaty'. Will be greatful if you can share your experience.

eflats is offline Registered User

It's probably just baby acne. My second got it. it's quite common and nothing to be worried about - although it's not that attractive;)- it flares up from about 2-6 weeks after birth and can last a few weeks to a few months. I switched to a very mild cleanser (cetaphil) for her face and it cleared in a few weeks. if it looks like it's spreading elsewhere on their body or turning from pimple looking things to more of a rash than you should take your baby in as maybe it is a reaction to, most likely, the formula. all the best.

Eva08 is offline Registered User

It does sound a lot like baby acne. My little boy got it at about 2 weeks (lots of little red pimples all over his face) and now at 10 weeks it's almost completely gone. I was advised by the midwife and doctor not to put anything on it (moisturiser, cleanser etc.) and not to wash it too often (i.e. more than once a day) so as to let it clear up by itself - which it did.
    Hope this helps!

geomum is offline Registered User

My daughter has baby acne too (She is solely breastfed). Her Pediatrician said I should stop consuming dairy and spicy food as she might be reacting to it. Other plausible causes I came across are hormones babies receive from their mother at the end of pregnancy and humid Hong Kong weather. Anyhow I have been using Physiogel cream and they seem to be getting better each day.

jools is offline Registered User

Now here's something I do know about. My first son got the little spots and being a first time Mum I convinced myself he would be scared for life, picked on at school etc. I asked everyone about them, midwife, doctor, health visitor, consultant paediatrician. I used to stare at them in the morning while I fed him and check again in the evening to see if they had gone down. I was obsessed with the spots.

Anyway no one could give me a definite answer and after a few weeks they disappeared and my little man's skin returned to being perfect again and I calmed down. My second and third also had the little spots, but this time I wasn't so obsessed.

I didn't do anything or change anything the spots just disappeared of their own accord. There were no marks left at all. I know they don't look very nice, but they will go honestly. It's another one of those little things people don't tell you about when you're having a baby. Good luck and try to relax about it.

hol
    hol is offline Registered User

Yes, this is common but what ever you do, DO NOT scratch or "pick" at them. It will leave a spot for MONTHS. Just a note from experience.