Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Baby Routine vs Outings

adahc is offline Registered User

I think baby will gradually get used to the idea of going out. I try to take him out once or twice a day, starts from somewhere near, then gradually make it further and longer each day. Babies this age whould not notice the difference, they are still not as clever as we think they are...I think.

I use mainly aircon noise, set the time for him to sleep. Mine is10 12 or 1pm. Then I'm pretty relax in the afternoon but normally around 2-3pm for an hour.

The first day of the routine is tough but I watch the sign as well. As soon as he yawn, I take him in the room. Draw the curtain, turn on the aircon and turn on the pumping machine.So he has all the white noise he needs. It stillstakes half an hour or so though but you have to be patient. At fist I must say I put him to sleep n our bed (his cot is in our bedroom), I find that he sleeps better and longer that way. Perhaps he can smell us? Then close the door annd keep the flat very quiet.
    But I also put the pillows and all around him to protect hm from falling. Not sure if this is the done thing though. I do check on him every 10 minutes or when I freak out with my own scary thoughts.
    Not sureif I gave the 'risky' approach to you or not with cot death and all. But I just need to try it out and make it possible for me to have a break too. I have only pat time helper who does the cleaning only.

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User

Dear adahc,

If you find your bed is a good place for your baby to sleep please don’t worry that it will be dangerous. There are simple steps to take to make it safe. This pamphlet from UNICEF in the UK, http://www.nhbreastfeedingtaskforce....bedleaflet.pdf
    explains the simple measures needed to safely co-sleep with your baby.

I like the idea of a sidecar arrangement where the baby's cot is attached to the double bed and there is room for everyone. I've attached a picture of such a side car. Some mothers I know have bought a mattress and then asked a carpenter to build the cot - as ordering them from abroad is very expensive.

Best wishes,
    SARAH

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cosleeper.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	12.7 KB 
ID:	326  
    La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

adahc is offline Registered User

So I'm doing ok right?

Fennho, I read an article about how important it is forbaby to sleep. I must say that makes me try my hardest to get him to sleep during the day even if it kills me. It might do the trick for you too.
    http://www.tinylove.com/article.aspx?articleId=69

arismom is offline Registered User

fenho,

PIPS is the Parkview International PreSchool - its just above Elements across from the Waterfront entrance. The park is right above that...

fennho is offline Registered User

sarah
    where can i buy that??

adahc
    i am guilty of swinging my baby to sleep during the daytime naps using one of those sarong swings i brought over from singapore. Basically it's a piece of cloth hanging from some spring and u rock the swing and create a "up-down" movement by the spring. Which is why, when we go outings, she finds it hard to sleep WITHOUT the swinging motion, so we have to rock her to sleep in our arms and THEN gently placed her inside the stroller, she cant sleep long in it, maybe 30mins? Sigh...

At night, i resort to nursing her to sleep, many frens keep warning me that i will have a hard time weaning her and getting her to sleep on her own when i'm no longer breastfeeding her....but she's sleeping thru the night now so i think i'll cross the bridge when it comes....

Sarah
    I know u used to nurse your bb to sleep...can advise how and when u wean them off "nursing to sleep" and no longer breastfeeding...do they just fall asleep automatically by then? My frens kept "scolding" me when i told them i nurse my gal to sleep like i've committed some great sins from Parenting Rules 101.

mrstee is offline Registered User

what worked for us is to go out late in the afternoon, after her mid-morning nap which ends around 3:30pm. this made it really predictable if i wanted to meet up with our friends and their kids. we knew that at 3:30 or 4pm we were available to meet up. it's not too hot after 3:30 if you want to go to a park, etc.
    that way, you can make sure that the baby has taken all his/her naps and then you can both get a chance to get out.

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User

I was working full time when you first two babies were born. So I used to take them out in the evenings a lot. As MrsTee said it is cooler in the late afternoon and evening and if going to a park much less crowded too.

If my husband was out for dinner I’d pack a picnic and we’d eat at the park too. I have some lovely memories of our picnic – everyone willing to eat and then the elder two playing on the equipment and the baby crawling around my feet.

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by fennho View Post
    Where can I buy that?
    I don’t know – you might have to get it made if you want one. All you need is to take the picture and measurements you want to a carpenter or a bed shop. There are lots of these places in Wan Chai (furniture shop opposite 188 Wan Chai Road) but I don’t know Kowloon very well.

A firm called Arm’s Reach, http://www.armsreach.com/ sell them but the nearest store is Singapore.

If you have room you could try adding an extra bed at the side of your double bed. Add the single at the side of your double and then sleep sideways – so the crack between the beds is under your legs when you are asleep. This will give you lots of room for the baby next to you and as the crack is under your legs you don’t feel it.

Nursing your baby to sleep is a personal choice – there is no ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ about it. It is a very easy solution to getting the baby back to sleep – maybe the baby continues waking up longer but then it is so easy to get them back to sleep again.

One thing that will definitely happen is that your baby will grow up. One day she won’t need your help getting back to sleep but it may take longer than you are expecting for this to happen.

We have lots of books in our LLL library about sleep:
    (We ask that you become a member of LLL-HK before you borrow books from our library – http://www.lllhk.org/Membership%20Matters%205.pdf to join.)

Crying Baby, Sleepless Night Jones, Sandy
    Nighttime Parenting Sears, William
    No-Cry Sleep Solution Pantley, Elizabeth
    The Family Bed Thevenin, Tine
    Three in a Bed Jackson, Deborah
    Good Nights, Gordon, Jay

(LLL is holding a conference in February 2009 and one of our main speakers will be Elizabeth Pantley.)

Best wishes,
    SARAH
    La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12