Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ESF kindy Vs Woodland Pre-school

barbiegirl is offline Registered User

ESF kindy Vs Woodland Pre-school

Hi,

She has been attending Woodland pre-school for a few months and she seems happy with this school. Now she is offered a K1 place in ESF sheung Wan. We are not sure whether to pull her out from Woodland when she is already fit well in it. We are aiming for ESF primary, so ESF kindy definitely gives us a higher priority for their primary. What would you choose? Also, we are worrying if we choose to turn down ESF and stay in Woodland, is ESF going to black-list my girl? Her chance to get into ESF primary will become slim??

Anyone here had the same experience to turn down an offer from ESF kindy but still got admitted into a ESF primary when you applied later?

nvmom is offline Registered User

Hi barbiegirl,

We turned down ESF kindergarten a couple of years ago for Woodland. My little girl is now accepted at ESF for Year 1 this coming September. So no worry. ESF primary is not going to blacklist you because you turn down ESF kindergarten.

They are both good schools. Woodland is known for being the feeder school for ESF.

Hi, nvmom

Thanks for your prompt reply. I feel much relieved....
    May I know why you turned down ESF kindy for Woodland? It's good to know that Woodland is a feeder for ESF primary, from what source did you get this info?

HappyV is offline Registered User

Are there children from Woodland pre-schools at ESF primary schools? Yes.
    Is Woodland a 'feeder' school for ESF? No.

The ESF does not have 'feeder' schools - going to an ESF kindergarten gives you priority for an interview - but even then, there is not firm guarantee.

Woodland and ESF both run fantastic kindergartens - among the best in HK.

barbiegirl,

Calling Woodland a feeder school might not be the best term. However, it is true that Woodland has strong connection with ESF schools in their respective areas. I believe ESF does send representative to visit Woodland schools and observe those children who are applicants to the ESF school prior to school interviews. It was true for my daughter this year.

You might want to call Woodland and ask them about this. They should be able to tell you more.

In any case, Woodland is a really good school. ESF's requirement is that the child has to be fluent in English. All the children I know from Woodland are perfect in english. So need not to worry too much even if you choose Woodland and not ESF Kindergarten in the end. All of the children in my daughter's school who applied to ESF were all accepted.

Feel free to PM me if you have more questions.

Last edited by nvmom; 05-06-2008 at 11:22 PM.

HappyV is offline Registered User

Representatives from the ESF visit just about every private English language school in Hong Kong. It doesn't mean that all applicants from that school will be accepted. (Case in point - the ESF rep was at a school recently, and the ESF have not accepted several students from this school into ESF secondary.)

I would agree that Woodland and ESF have a good relationship, but it's no guarantee of anything - not even an interview.

I think ESF secondary is a totally separate issue. It's not just about English proficiency any more. What I was referring to is Primary School Year One.

ESF Kindergarten does give the child an interview advantage if the child falls into Category Two priority. So if the child falls into category two, ESF Kindergarten might be a better choice. If the child falls into Category One, I think either Woodland or ESF will be equally good.

Thanks both of you for sharing. I will take another week or so to make the decision.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast