Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Primary Schools - Living in Tai Tam

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User

Primary Schools - Living in Tai Tam

As soon as we arrive in Hong Kong this summer I need to start thinking about signing my oldest up for school year 2009/2010 (she'll go to Sunshine Tai Tam next school year). We'll be living in the Manhattan.

Does anybody have recommendations and/or any experiences with ESF Quarry Bay, Canadian International and possibly HKIS (although I would like to avoid extremely high tuitions and costly debenture constructions). She'll turn 5 May 2009 so I want to keep the school bus commute reasonable since she's still young.

Any information is highly appreciated!

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User

Anybody?

Thanks in advance.

Freya is offline Registered User

All three schools that you mention have very good reputations. The only one that does not have a debenture is ESF Quarry Bay. In regards to location HKIS would be the nearest school to you. You may want to think about what type of education you require for your child, if you are only in HK for a few years you may want to choose the school that teaches the sylabus that is taught in your home country. Both Canadian and ESF will do PYP and HKIS runs a North American Curriculum. It may also come down to which school you are able to get a spot in for your child as the waitlists are very long. I would advise you to take a look at all three schools and see which one would suit you best. In regards to debentures & fees this will give you an idea approx
    HKIS Primary $130,000 per annum with a reservation fee of $68,350 & Capital Levy of $12,000 per annum
    Canadian Primary $80,800 per annum Debenture $250,000
    ESF Primary $54,300
    I understand that all the above three will increase fees shortly.
    Canadian and Quarry Bay are roughly the same distance. All buses have bus mothers on so for a 5 year old the journey is not too excessive. Good luck with your choice.

nat1969 is offline Registered User

apply broadly since you will be coming in at a disadvantage - ie all the international schools have already had their starter class (at 3 yo for CDNIS, FIS and GSIS, 4 yo for HKIS, CIS etc)....you will be on the waitlist regardless
    they all are $$$ and without a corp debenture - i think you will end up with a annual capital levy at each school (or like CIS - a 75000 personal debenture)