Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fussing at night

dhirsh is offline Registered User

Fussing at night

I have a two week old who sleeps and eats well during the day, but at night becomes very fussy. When I feed him, he sometimes falls asleep. I try to wake him up, but it doesn't work. I burp him and rock him to sleep and then put him down. As soon as I put him down in the crib, he starts fussing ( moaning, grunting, crying). Sometimes he takes the bottle again and at otehr times doesn't want it. This never happens in the morning. My husband and I have no idea what to do. Any suggestions? Should I leave him and hope he falls asleep, or pick him up everytime?

Also, I have found that since I have come home from the hospital I have no appetite to eat and cry everyday. Anyone else felt that way?

carang is offline Registered User

personally, i can't stand to hear such a little one cry. i'd go for the pick up every time, especially at such a young age. are you swaddling little J? if not, that would probably help. R was exactly the same and we finally, after 7 weeks asked the doctor. he said that she was a little lactose intolerant and that it reared its ugly head at night. he prescribed some enzyme drops that worked a treat. after two weeks, she was like a new girl.

it's easy to say, but this too shall pass. it just feels like forever when you are suffering from lack of sleep AND trying to recover from a major surgery.

it sounds like you are suffering some post-natal depression. i would talk to your doctor as soon as possible. suffering from this just makes dealing with the little one all the more difficult, especially when you combine it with the lack of sleep.

if you need a shoulder to cry on, please don't hesitate to call.
    do you only have hubby's # or do you have mine too?

Thanks Carang. I appreciate it and will take you up on your offer. I am swaddling and do go to him when he starts to cry. I plan on calling the doc tomorrow.

I only have your husbands number. Can you text messge it to me?

carang is offline Registered User

sent you a pm!

AG2007 is offline Registered User

dhrish
    I remember when my little was that small (she's now 11 months). She would cry a lot at night but was fine during the day! I ask lots of mothers and apparently a lot of babies do the same. You won't believe it by it was a phase my baby went thru and all of a sudden one day she just slept better. Those were very trying times and family support is extremely vital. I was a bit down myself and cried a few nights. That's normal actually as your body is going thru lots of changes after the birth and your homone level is out of control. Do see you doctor about your feelings. Sometimes it makes a lot of difference just to talk about it. Or you can also speak to midwives who are very helpful especially during the early days when the mother is vulnerable and helpless. All the best and hang in there. This too shall pass..

Sage is offline Registered User

dhrish,
    Your little one sounds like a lot of babies. That's why they say new mothers get practically no sleep in the beginning. I think it's helpful for you and your partner to have a tag team plan. At least on of you will get some sleep.

Babies moan and groan a lot at this age. I try to make sure the room is very dark so that they will go back to sleep easily.

Ahhh... the hormones! You poor dear. That, is normal as well but you MUST get help. Sometimes, it's enough to talk to friends, get help and support from your husband and close friends but sometimes, you need to seek professional help. You can either talk to you OBGYN or midwives. I recommend Yvonne Heavyside. She's very good.

I know it's hard but try and get some sleep. That will help tremendously. I had post natal depression too and I wasn't convinced until my dad and my husband confronted me about it and threaten to do an "intervention" and take the baby away from me! Even if you don't want any medication (there are some you can take while breastfeeding), it's good to talk to professionals, therapists. Or even just your husband. Just don't bottle it up and deal with it all alone.

A Big Hug to you and hope you feel better very soon.

louisouis is offline Registered User

dhirsh,

My baby is very much like yours... tend to be fussy at night rather then in the day. At first I felt overwhelmed with all the responsibilities of being a new parent, and was rather resentful of my husband and in-laws who only get in contact with the baby when he is content and happy in the day. The hormones sent my emotions into overdrive and I felt depressed and anxious. Basically, I was not a happy bunny. Talking to my friends and my mum helped tremendously, it is important not to wallow in your own unhappiness. (I did and it really did not work) In fact share it with everyone! Ha!ha! I kept talking until I felt better, and I went out for tea with friends and try to 'recharge' myself so that I feel more energised to face my little darling 'terror' at night. Like all new mothers, I am taking baby steps and learning how to cope with all these new situations a little bit at a time. Good Luck and Take care!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast