Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

What do you do with your baby during the day when he/she is awake

Konradsmom is offline Registered User

At the other end of the spectrum are working mothers ( like me) who doesn't have much time to spend with bub each day except for the hour before his bedtime ( and that is IF I hurry home after work). I try and make up for it on the weekends....but there are times when I wish I can stay home and play/be with him a bit more.

I try and read books with him , tho most of the time if he is happy to play by himself I let him be. Finally succumb to TV as well, altho I try and be selective about what I show him. H's only 8 mnths and probably doesn't understand TV yet, but I make sure that he only watches educational stuff, like little einstein.

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User

I had a much more relaxed attitude to what to do with my babies. I didn’t worry so much about what they wanted to do but rather what I wanted to do. My theory was that so long as they were with me they’d be happy and generally this worked out. So I’d go out and meet my husband for lunch, visit friends, shopping or whatever. I didn’t worry if the baby needed a nap or not – as the baby could sleep in the sling if he was tired.

I recommend that you think a little more of your enjoyment and then just take baby with you to whatever it is that is entertaining you. If you are having fun and enjoying yourself it will rub off on the baby and he will have fun too – you don’t need to do anything special.

kellyst is offline Registered User

barb, always nice to hear such things from a seasoned pro ;)

i worry endlessly about kids missing naps, missing meals, being bored when they're out with me and hubby always ends up getting the shortest end of the stick. it's a good reminder that we need to have fun ourselves too.

sherwes is offline Registered User

I have a 6 month old and my view is that almost anything is "play" for him. Just watching me cook, going shopping or to the supermarket or meeting my friends for coffee are all enjoyable for him so long as he is with me and I include him by talking to him and keep him stimulated. Just being pushed around the supermarket in the pram is "educational" as he gets to see and speak to different people, look at the bright colours and smell the different smells. Of course, I do play with him one on one too.
    There is endless information about educating your tiny baby and teaching him/her skills but I really think that (at this age) at lot of that stuff is just to keep the mums amused. My baby does like Baby Einstein but I don't kid myself that those DVDs are any more "educational" than watching cartoons or music videos (which he loves - must be the music!). He is a very happy little fellow so I don't see a need to change anything.
    Hope this helps and goodluck!

Nashua852 is offline Registered User

I'm currently on my 20 minute door bouncer break as my 5 month old (in a couple of days officially, but I want to get used to saying that! :)) is happily jumping up and down. This has been a great addition to the 20 minute baby gym break or the 20 minute baby Einstein break hehe. Only major deadline days has caused me to use all three but that's happened only once and never consecutively. Little un's need some time to themselves (as do us mummies) but generally we do a bit during the day.

Playtime is always fun (for both of us, I hope!) We read a couple of books, and sometimes it doesn't matter if the second one is one of Mummies as she's racing to get to the end of the chapter -- I honestly think a baby knows when you're reading to him. That you're sharing something with him.

Some great toys we use for 4-5 mos have so far been, a colourful cloth ball with a tinkling bell on the inside to play catch with, cage rattles, his little monkey textured teether thingy (one of thse clothey noiseless rattles? from lamaze) he's loved his baby rocker chair since about a month old and has started to take to playing with blocks

From 3 months on, I found little K really interested in more physical games - row row row your boat, peekaboo's a classic :) having him 'fly' around the flat and then look out the window, this little piggy, round and round the garden etc.. (right now he likes it when I jump alongside with him)

We go to the park a lot as well as shopping malls and more recently museums. We're going to the elements mall today and the history museum sometime this week (more for mummy than him, granted -- but we;ve been taking him out in his buggy since week 1 and he loves looking at things)

Playgroups are great -- we try to go to one regularly but with us living in Yuen Long and the playgroups we like being in Central doing it every week doesnt always work out as too many factors kick in sometimes. He enjoys the toys and babies, and mainly tries to eat well, both.

If all else fails, he has a little stuffed blue monkey we gave him since birth and Cheeky comforts him. And is always there for a good chew

fennho is offline Registered User

my bb never seems to be contented left alone on her own to play...she always screams for company or for us to entertain her after merely on her own for like ONE minute...im so tired out!

Konradsmom is offline Registered User

fennho,

Hey bub was like that too when he was younger, but I think it gets better with time as they have more abilities and skills later on . At 8 months, bub is happy to sit by himself and play with his toys ( Ok, at least for a bit of time before he calls for us ) but as they grow, they would be more able to entertain themselves !!

fingerscrossed is offline Registered User

My 4mo also likes his colourful toys that we've hooked to the side of his crib. He also loves it when I tell himstories...especially his Mr Men books and Elmo stories. I can actually see the difference... he used to want people to be around when he's up and playing but in the past few weeks, he's become a lot more independent. Honestly, they grow so quickly so savour the moment. And if you ever get bored and feel like you're not doing your job well, think of the poor mummies who have to work and can't spend the precious first years with their babies.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Scroll to top