Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Toy Library

bumpkin is offline Banned

Someone in U.S. has already started this toy business. You sign it up with credit card and they charge you monthly (about $29). You select toy online, sometimes need to wait a while to get the toy you / your kids want. Greatest part is they send toys to your address. I believe that owner just started to collect profit recently after spending $200, 000 to get it going. Kind of a toy version of netflix.

Great part-time work for stay home moms. If you are thinking about this seriously, PM me.

2boys is offline Registered User

All these great ideas. I really like the idea of first setting up an online library to iron out all the kinks in operating a library with a view to having a place to visit at a later stage. I should be able to help out with storage initially until we find a bigger place for all the toys.

locomomo is offline Registered User

I have got alot of storage space at my place as well.

Kiwicanfly is offline Registered User

Toy libraries are well established in New Zealand as well. They are generally run as "Not for Profit" organisations, administered mostly by parents.
    I would imagine an internet swap would work well for some people, but then do you swap back...? Or onward swap - is this a means of passing on second hand toys...?
    As a borrowing venture, I think the internet would only add costs, as you still need a location to store the toys, and ensure cleaning and safety checks occur. And you would add the cost of shipping logistcs.
    I am very interested in the internet swap idea - please keep me in the loop if you proceed. And I will also investigate setting up a physical library.

Sage is offline Registered User

Swapping can be done instantaneously. Setting up a toy library involves cataloging. Cataloging is, by itself, a very time consuming process.
    Some examples of cataloging fields for toys:
    -age groups
    -soft/hard
    -no. of parts (in a set)
    -maker (brand)
    -batteries needed?
    -girls'/boys' toys
    -condition
    and so forth.
    (Sorry - I'm a geek. I read cataloging and classification once upon a time pre-baby days.)

MaiYe is offline Banned

public toy library

hi moms,

how to reserve seat for toy library? is it only available in the Central library here in HK?

Kiwicanfly is offline Registered User

There is a toy library within the Central Library in Hong Kong. Parents book a time period and children can play with the toys for 45 minutes at a time. This is administered by Playright in Hong Kong.
    Based on the small amount of feedback from this forum, and some conversations with other parents in the area, I am working on feasibility of establishing a lending toy library in Hong Kong. This will enable parents to take age appropriate toys home for their children for either 2 or 4 weeks at a time. I have some information from the International Toy Libraries group, and I'm working on a charter currently to do this locally, if it is feasible, then it will require vounteer parents to assist in administration. And, it will take time - as with all good things.
    In the mean time - to fill this need - I like the idea posted by Miaka for Yahoo Groups toy swap. I'm not very techy, but if you need any help to set this up, please PM me.

miaka is offline Registered User

i've set up a yahoo groups. to join (you will need a yahoo id), pls visit: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hktoylibrary/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast