Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Moving to Hong Kong, advice please

kazbt is offline Registered User

Moving to Hong Kong, advice please

Hi all, I'm new on here and gathering all the information I can about HK. My hubby has taken a relocation package from work (HSBC), and we're moving out for 2-3 years at the end of August. We've been told we're staying at the Wendy Apartments in Happy Valley (understand they're bank owned). We have 2 children, 1 boy aged 6, and a girl aged 15 months.

I am worried about the children out here, and me! What will I do? Is there lots to do, you all look a friendly bunch on here.

Any advice would be gratefully r'cd!

Many thanks

Karen

Sorry, meant to say we're from the UK, Essex!

cwbmum is offline Registered User

Hi
    You will either love HK or hate it. We came out in Dec 1999 from UK for around 2 years and we are still here. We love it.
    There are lots of things to do for yourself and for your children. A few things for the kids are Ocean Park, HK Park, Botanical and Zoological Gardens, lot of play parks scattered around. There are many clubs to join, not sure if your husband will get a club membership or not - ask him to ask the company. There are many public swimming pools and recreation centers.
    My son does socatots and swimming lessons.
    Then when it's not raining or too hot there are lots of hiking to be done, junk trips (boat trips) etc etc, the list just goes on and on.
    Going out in town is also great, many fantastic restaurants to try.
    Have you been to HK before?
    I am sure lots more people will be adding more things for you.
    Hope you enjoy your time here.

m2cw2mhk is offline Registered User

I am sure you will love it here! There is loads to do. In addition to Ocean Park and Disneyland, our daughter loves the beaches, riding the Midlevels escalator, taking ferry rides to the outlying islands, and the Peak Tram. There are many, many good playgrounds around town too. We also do Kindermusik and there are other similar playgroups (where you attend with your child) that would be great for your 15 month old. Hopefully the relocation package for you also will include some help with schools for your 6 year old - there are lots of good ones here.

If you haven't heard this yet most people get a domestic helper - a full time live in housekeeper/nanny/cook. It will free up your time to do things with the children, and there are also lots of things for moms to do. The YWCA offers some great classes to help you get acclimated to Hong Kong and the American Women's Association (which is open to everyone, it is American in name only) also has lots of fun activities. There are shopping trips and tours, cooking classes, etc. And basic errands just take longer here when you are getting around on public transport and dealing with HK's many markets and shopping areas.

Are you thinking about working as well?

It's great here, we're here to help with your questions!

Talking

Thank you so much for your replies, they have helped put my mind at rest. Husband has been out there for 5 weeks last December, and he loved it, and has told me that I will love it too. Yes, apparently we will get a sports club membership, our 6 year old and hubby loves football, so hopefully they'll play somewhere, and maybe something for me and little one too! Yes have also heard about the domestic helpers - worth their weight in gold apparently!

I'll probably be back soon to pick more brains about things when I start panicking!!!

Thank you
    Karen

noella is offline Registered User

Hi you will love it here with 2 little ones that age!!! One of my closest friends lives in Wendy Apartments so if you would like me to put you in touch with her please let me know!

Noella, thank you for that offer, yes please, I would love to 'meet' someone before we get there (in cyberworld!).

Where are you all from originally, and how long have you been in HK?

Thanks again

Karen

cwbmum is offline Registered User

Hi
    Can't believe I forgot Disney Land!!
    I'm originally from near Blackpool in the UK. I've been here since Dec 1999, we love it here, lots to do.
    It sounds as if your husband has the 'Football Club' membership, if so you will have loads to do, there are many facilities there. If you like netball you could join the team and many more.
    The only think I don't like now is flying all the way back to Manchester from here with two young children, don't like flying very much and haven't yet done a long haul with my daughter who will be one next month.
    Good luck with all your packing arrangements etc.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast