Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dealing with immigration dept

sherwes is offline Registered User

Dealing with immigration dept

Hi, has anyone had experience of what the Immigration Dept require as proof of residency for the purposes of a domestic helper visa? I know in the guidelines they give examples such as 3 months of bills to the particular address but these are only examples. We are currently in a serviced apartment and have a PCCW invoice for our pay tv and internet. Does anyone know whether that will suffice?
    We move out of the serviced apartment in 3 weeks to a rental apartment but I need to start the visa application now.
    I am in two minds as to whether:
    1. use the address of the serviced apartment on the application and give the PCCW invoice and hope it is accepted.
    2. use the address of our new place in which case I will need to wait at least a week until I have a fully executed copy of the lease.

If anyone has experience with dealing with immigration I'd appreciate your thoughts! Thanks.

aussiegal is offline Registered User

I think you can use your lease agreement for your new apartment or the lease on your current serviced apartment. We used the latter.

thanks. How long was the lease on your serviced apartment? Did immigration have a problem if the lease term would be over by the time the helper arrived?

aussiegal is offline Registered User

We had a two month lease. I think we did show them the new lease however to prove we were staying here.

Unlike back home the immigration department here is quite helpful. If you have any questions you can call them or send an email and they call back normally the same day.

carang is offline Registered User

i would say, provide as much as you can...
    so, if you have a lease of your current place, give that AS WELL AS the lease for your new place.
    if you are in a rush to have your helpe start, ask the immig if they could "hurry up" your application. they might be able to have it ready by the time you move in.

sunniefaith is offline Registered User

How long does it typically take to get a DH from the point of interview till she can work for us legally? Apparently, there's a possibility that we may be getting a child in Aug. Want everything to be as ready as possible.

On a separate note, has anyone hired a legal local DH before? What's the pay for them? I'm looking at 8am to 5pm, Mon to Fri.

Last edited by sunniefaith; 05-26-2008 at 10:28 AM.

carang is offline Registered User

i have a legal local helper (actually 2 share the work) at my playgroup. it is $55/hour, so if you are talking a full time job, it could get quite expensive unless you work out a "package" for them

Smile

Thanks for your replies Carang and Aussiegal. I will call the Dept of Immigration today.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast