Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

My 5 months baby suddenly rejected bottle

adahc is offline Registered User

My 5 months baby suddenly rejected bottle

My easily fed baby suddenly decided that he doesn't want bottle feed any longer. I normally breastfeed but once in a while (once a week) I do need my 'me' time so my husband will feed him with my pumped milk for a feed. There was even a time that I had to go away somehwhere for 24 hours and he bollte fed him for all those time.
    Suddenly since 2 days ago, since he started to drink less and less (10 mins instead of 20-30 mins), I decided to bottle feed him to ensure that he doesn't go to bed hungry, he rejected the bottle, even rejected my husband feeding him with bottle.
    Yesterday, he te very little during the day and woke up 3 times during the night, so I tried bottle feed him. Again he rejected and went for my brest instead.
    Any thoughts. advice, tips?

llyynnnie is offline Registered User

Hi adahc,

Same thing happened to my 5 month-old. I feed him formula but for the past week, he's been drinking only 1/3 of his usual feed at everyfeed. Pushes away the bottle and makes noises when he sees the bottle. Apparently, same thing happen to 2 of my friends babies when they were around this age. So maybe it's just a phase..

cxflygirl is offline Registered User

I was just about to start a thread on this subject. My 8 week old is rejecting the bottle I was away for the weekend and she was feed EBM during those 2 days. I decided on my return to give her one feed a day with a bottle so that I can go out. She refuses and just plays and pushes bottle away with her tongue. Any tips would be fantastic...as otherwise I will be house bound.

That's what I fear most.

cxflygirl is offline Registered User

adahc,
    Read on previous thread to try Adiri bottles i just ordered it on line at www.milk-factory.com

Will let u know how it goes..

Please let me knowas I tried a faster flow bottle tody ans he still rejected it. He used to love this MAM bottle.

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User

If your baby won't take a bottle have you tried a cup instead? Most five month old babies can manage a cup with your help. Five months is a time that they enjoy trying new things.

I wouldn't worry if your baby only wants to feed for about 10 minutes - this is a very normal length of a breastfeed when the baby is this age. Usually the babies will feed very quickly by five months except for a couple of feeds (often the going to sleep ones) when they like to feed for longer. This is more because they enjoy the comfort sucking at these times. The longer into the feed the less milk they are taking.

Best wishes,
    SARAH

Last edited by LLL_Sarah; 05-28-2008 at 08:59 AM.
    La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

Thanks Sarah,
    we too him to see the doctor and he is 6.5kg. We last weight him on 3 April when he was 6.28kg. So he doesn't gain weight as much as before (170gm/week). Advice?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast