Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

HK Immigration and newborns

cyberfish88 is offline Registered User

HK Immigration and newborns

Can anyone shed some light on the immigration process for a newborn? My daughter was born here to two US citizens, one of us a PR here in HK. She just got her US passport. I have filled out the Right of Abode application and will mail to immigration but what next? Will she actually get an ID card and do I have to go through a long process to get one or are they fairly quick? Do they thumbprint her :) Does she have to leave HK first on a visa and then come back in like she would if she was an adult?

Anyone been through this recently?

Thanks!

chzesie likes this.

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User

Hi- I am a British passport holder and HK permanent resident.
    My son was born in HK.

Once you have sent immigration the right of abode application they will approve, or not her right to permanent residency.
    However it should already say on your daughters HK birth certificate if she has 'permanent status or not.'
    On my sons birth certificate it says that his permanent status is 'established.'

What will then happen is that immigration will ask you to go to their offices, where they will fix a stamp in your daughters passport (Like any other visa) that says she is a permanent resident.
    As a newborn she will not get an ID card, so you will still have to travel with her passport.

Newborns are definetly not fingerprinted, I did not even have to to take my son with me when I went to pick up his permanent sticker.
    Your daughter does not have to leave the country and re-enter.

Hope that helps!

cyberfish88 is offline Registered User

Thanks bekyboo44, that helps a lot! Darn, I wanted to see them try to fingerprint her!! I did check her birth certificate and it does say ROA is established so that is good. Am beginning rest of the process today.

Does this mean everytime you travel you have to go through a manual counter at the airport?

rani is offline Administrator

Yes, baby can't go through the e-channel and you have to stand in line with all other Residents.

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User

As your baby has right of abode in Hong Kong you can apply for an SAR passport. With this passport you will get an ID card for you child but it won't have a photo on it until she is 11 years old. This does save some time in the immigration queue as it means you don't have to fill all the forms in - they just swipe the ID card.

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User

I think to quality for a SAR passport, at least one parent must be of Chinese origin.
    There have been exceptions made, but as far as I know, that is the law.

ctrbabe1 Guest

cyberfish, we are the same situation as you. Two US citizens, but hubby is HK born PR, baby was born here. We recently just traveled and just brought baby's US passport and HK birth certificate. Only needed to show the birth cert when leaving/entering HK. (the actual HK birth cert, not the consular report of birth).

JoTs is offline Registered User

We are two British Citizens and my husband is HK born PR. Our daughter was born here and on her birth certificate it says her right of abode is "established". We have just got her British passport and are in the process of getting it stamped to say she is a HK PR. But actually it is not necessary as we can just travel with her passport and birth certificate - we are getting the stamp so that we don't have to take her birth certificate each time we travel.

My son was born in the UK so he has just had a visa up till now, like me. However, we are in the process of applying for PR for him as well - he should get it as my husband has PR, was born here and is chinese...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast