Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

BF flow too fast.

muimuimolina is offline Registered User

Unhappy BF flow too fast.

My little boy is 3 months old and is exclusively BF. Lately the milk flow is too fast and he chokes everytime he latches, then unlatches and cries. I've tried to pump b4nursing but the flow is still fast and he just refuses my breast. He'd rather suck his finger. He reject bottles completely too. We both get really frustrated. I try to nurse him when he's half asleep, he nurse a bit better but he just takes one side and refuses the other. Does anybody have the same experience? Can anyone give some advice?

miaka is offline Registered User

my son is 4mos and we have the same pblm occassionally. usually my son just chokes and tries again. or he's just a lil thristy and wants a quicky drink rather than a feed. he's willing to take the bottle. we use avent.

the nurse at the health center told me to lean backwards and also try to press down on my breast as i'm feeding to slow down the flow.

cxflygirl is offline Registered User

I had the same problem so what I did was feed my baby in a cradle hold but I would lean back so that she was nursing uphill.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html

Got this from the Kellymom website go to the lin above as they also have some pictures.

Position baby so that she is nursing "uphill" in relation to mom's breast, where gravity is working against the flow of milk. The most effective positions are those where baby's head and throat are above the level of your nipple. Some nursing positions to try:
    Cradle hold, but with mom leaning back (a recliner or lots of pillows helps)
    Football hold, but with mom leaning back
    Elevated football hold - like the football hold, but baby is sitting up and facing mom to nurse instead of lying down (good for nursing in public).
    Side lying position - this allows baby to dribble the extra milk out of her mouth when it's coming too fast
    Australian position (mom is "down under", aka posture feeding) - in this position, mom is lying on her back and baby is on top (facing down), tummy to tummy with mom. Avoid using this positioning frequently, as it may lead to plugged ducts.

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User

The different positions cxflygirl suggested are likely to help with a fast flow. Another technique you might like to consider is using only one breast per feed. This tends to slow down the speed that the milk leaves the breast and helps the baby cope better. Sometimes when the baby is having lots of small feeds and this is still a lot of changing breasts we talk about staying on one side for three hours and then swapping to the other side for three hours.

Best wishes,
    SARAH

La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

muimuimolina is offline Registered User

Miaka n cxflygirl,

thx a lot for the advice, i'd definitely try them and tell u about the result. But today my breasts are sooo engorged and they hurt. my little boy is still afraid of them. He cries when he sees them-that really hurts. He'd only nurse when in extreme hunger(but then he sucks even stronger n that make the flow really fast) or fatigue, still he chokes even when he's asleep. I try to nurse him when he's not so hungry but he cries and pushes them away. I've tried to use my index and middle finger to serve as a clip near the areola area to slow down the flow but it doesn't help much. I wonder is there anything to do with my daily consumption of papaya milk and oatmeal. Anyway let's hope thing will get better soon. Again thx a lot.

Query is offline Registered User

I shared the same problem a couple of months back. What I did was to pump out a little milk first - maybe around 5 mins because I found that the initial release of BM was typically really strong and fast and made my baby choke from the fast flow. Only when the flow steadied, I would then allow my baby to feed off me. Perhaps you could try this method. You could try to give the pumped BM to your baby from a bottle.

cinnamon is offline Registered User

I had the same problem and tried the positions and pumping etc.
    do pump to ease the flow but only just enough as I think pumping more can lead to more milk production. (supply and demand thing)
    How long has it been happening?
    I found the flow did adjust itself eventually, and baby was none the worse for all the choking and throwing up (cant say the same for me though!)
    I had papaya soup while breastfeeding too.
    If you think that this may have an effect , just stop and see if it helps.
    its stressful and I sympathise with you totally.
    But unless baby is loosing weight or it goes on for too long, take a deep breath and try not to worry.
    Breast rejection is not a rejection of you.