Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

DHA and ARA supplements for 5mth old?

unity is offline Registered User

DHA and ARA supplements for 5mth old?

Hi
    Does anyone know where I can get DHA supplements (or ARA supplements..is there such a thing?) for my 5 mth old? Any paediatrician selling them or anywhere esle.

I just switched my dd from Enfamil to Babynat Organic and it seems that Babynat does not contain the WHO recommended level of DHA & ARA. Earth's Best does have DHA/ARA but still not at the WHO recommended level plus it is VERY expensive. I had to switch because she was having bad eczema and very hard stool (eventhough we fed her water) when taking Enfamil. So far, Babynat seems to help but no DHA & ARA.

Thanks in advance!
    (posted this wrongly under Baby's Health)

Sleuth is offline Registered User

Dr. Brambley sells the Nordic brand out of her office in Central. No idea on the price, though. We stocked up last time in the USA.

unity is offline Registered User

hi
    thanks for the info. how much does it cost in the US? just so, i have a price reference. do u know if it can be fed to babies around 5 mths old (4 1/2 really). do u add the liquid into the bottle with the formula?
    thanks!

Sleuth is offline Registered User

The last price I remember was $9.99, but this type of thing always seems to cost more in HK. In the US, you can buy it at Wal Mart which keeps the price reasonable.
    We never used it when our LO was that young. Figured it came with the breast milk, so he was older than 1 when we started him on it. The stuff in Wal Mart (and Dr. Brambley's) is mixed with water.
    Dr. Brambley has a range of Nordic Natural product and might have something for kids that young.

Konradsmom is offline Registered User

I use Eye Q for my son since 6 months, is available in 360, and also in IMI. Mannings in Prince's Building also carries it.

LeahH is offline Registered User

My daughter is on babynat and after a lot of research into whether DHA/ARA supplements were actually necessary, we decided against supplementing. Maybe speak to your Ped? Didn't seem to be any compelling studies showing they are of benefit, but there was recent (this year) negative information.

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by unity View Post
    The WHO recommended level of DHA & ARA
    Can you give me a link to the WHO recommendations for DHA and ARA in formula?

It is my understanding that there is no research which supports the addtion of these to formula milks and that the formula companies add it because of marketing pressure rather than medical guidelines.

Thanks for your help,
    SARAH