Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Have you had success with DOMPERIDOME?

Swoon is offline Banned

Have you had success with DOMPERIDOME?

Has anyone taken this? Did it make a difference and increase your milk supply? Did you have any side effects that you know of? Does it get into the breast milk?

I have a very low milk supply and I have tried everything--fenugreek, chinese soups, drinking loads of water and milk, oatmeal, etc. I've seen a lactation consultant. Nothing has made much of a difference. After pumping for 30 minutes, I'm lucky to get one measly ounce. But I want to keep trying. I've been recommended as a last resort to try Domperidome.

I've heard that results are phenomenal--ie. one mom could pump 20 ounces in a sitting! That's incredible.

Problem is that I've read some FDA warnings against using the drug to increase milk supply. It's not approved in the US yet.

http://allonhealth.com/breast-feeding/domperidone-increase-milk.htm

I'm already a very anti-medication person so I'm very wary about using it. Can anyone who has used it please share your feedback??

Buckeroo is offline Registered User

Sorry, can't help on Domperidone, but do try pumping for a shorter period of time (max of 15 minutes each time), but more frequently, instead of doing 30 minutes at one go.

Another thing you can try is to take Korean seaweed soup. All of my Korean friends take this during confinement and throughout as they are breastfeeding and ALL of them have lots of milk. I also took this (and am taking this now --but not as often anymore) and comparing this time with when I was breastfeeding #1, I have SO much more milk this time around.

The soup itself is very yummy. I got hubby to get the Korean seaweed (laver) when he goes to Korea for business, but I'm pretty sure that you will be able to get this from any Korean shops here in Hong Kong. Please see this link for a recipe to the soup:
    http://ecochildsplay.com/2008/05/22/...tfeeding-moms/

For the first few months after giving birth, that was pretty much my water, day in, day out. I take the seaweed and whatever meat (beef, pork, chicken) that used for the broth together with rice.

Good luck.

capital is offline Banned
    http://www.gentlemothering.ca/Domper...ary%202005.pdf

http://www.gentlemothering.ca/Domper...ary%202005.pdf

http://www.gentlemothering.ca/DRNewmanHandouts.html

Here is some information on domperidone and the website they are from. Teh website also has several hands outs in Chinese.

It is a motiltiy agent for your stomach and producing milk is a side effect of the drug. It is the #1 choice for a medication to improve milk supply in Canada, less side effects than other options. I haven't taken it myself but know lots who have and worst side effect from those I know is diarrhea. One of those handouts does go into the side effects
    Last edited by capital; 06-26-2008 at 01:06 AM.

capital is offline Banned
    http://www.lllc.ca/pressreleases/200...omperidone.php

this one discusses the controversy of why the US does not allow its use.

http://66.230.33.248/discus/messages...tml?1213018649

This is from DR. Thomas Hale who is well known for researching drugs in breastmilk. this is his page on galatogoges. He is American

muimuimolina is offline Registered User

have u tried dried octopus, papaya and fish soup? it works like wonder for me. if u want to boost the effet, try adding a chinese herb call "tung tso" (rice paperlant pith). it claims helping milk production.
    good luck.

muimuimolina is offline Registered User

i also find that pumping doesn't stimulate milk production like baby suckling. when i pump, i don't feel the let down. but when i put my bb on my breasts, the let down is really strong. maybe u should put your baby on your breasts as often as possible.

cyberfish88 is offline Registered User

Bzee,

I have tried Domperidone recently and had some success with it. I only used it for a week and milk supply went up a tiny bit (not 20oz like the person you mention!!). Like you, I was extremely nervous about using it because of the FDA warnings, but then again, I had to remind myself the FDA really is not a good bellweather of what is healthy for anyone! What finally reassured me was knowing it has been used for years in Canada for increasing milk (and other countries) and it is also recommended by Dr. Jack Newman as a last resort. I also saw a study carried out on a small number of participants that showed no effects. My lactation consultant here in HK and paeditrician also recommended it.

I had no side effects at all but then again only took it for a week. The one note was that my 3 month old daughter who I am breastfeeding stopped regurgitating so much milk (she does this a lot, may have reflux) and the lactation consultant said it may be because trace amounts of domperidone get into the breastmilk and domperidone is for treating gastric reflux!

Not sure my comments help but just so you know others are also in similar situation and have gone for it! I think I am one of those women who are just destined to never pump much. Another thing that has helped me is pumping at the same time as the middle of the night feed, as well as early morning. I get the most milk then (1.5-2oz from a breast)

Hope this helps!

Swoon is offline Banned

Thanks everyone for your replies. I've already tried the papaya soup and that didn't work either.

Re. putting baby on breast instead of pumping so much. Actually, I didn't want to pump and had kept on persisting in feeding my baby. But what had been happening in the last several weeks (she is now 4 months) is that she kept getting very frustrated as I fed her. Because she couldn't get much milk she kept tugging and twisting her head and crying. I felt really terrible about it. I would have a letdown and she would gulp quickly and within less than 2 minutes, she would start tugging, meaning there likely wasn't anymore milk coming out. I had already been topping up with formula since she was two months out of necessity. She hadn't gain back her birthweight after six weeks so I am quite certain that I've had a low milk supply since day one.

These days, I sometimes want to just give up and have her completely on formula. But on the other hand, I still want to keep trying. This last week, I have solely been pumping because I can't bear to have her crying and frustrated from feeding anymore. Each time I pump, I get 1.5 to 2 ounces at most.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast