Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone moved in from Singapore?

engee is offline Registered User

Anyone moved in from Singapore?

HAi

We are thinking of shifting to Spore but we have no idea how life is out there....is it as workaholic as HK?
    engee

weishy is offline Banned

Hi,i;m from sgp and personally its just as hectic in sin.basic necess like housing,transportation food are almost as high as hk.
    HAving lived in hk for more than 10 yrs...i love hk....the pace,the way ppl do and treat each other .(why is say this cos i went back when i was 6 months preggie....took the train daily to town for yoga sessions and for the pass 3 months........only about 3 or 4 ppl gave a seat to me.....not that i'm nt abled bodied but i'm really disappointed myself......
    i sometimes drag to go back eccept for missing the food.

engee is offline Registered User

Hi Weishy,
    I have a friend out there and she says when compared to HK spore is great..family oriented place ppl smile and are friendly(she was here for 10yrs)
    But i guess....it depends isnt it....out here we r pretty lonely...no social gathering at all..work pressure is tearing my hus down....i mean...is this how it is for all...i dono.... the end of the day he is exhausted.

Thanx for the reply.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

I've only visited S'pore - but to me, it seems more relaxed and also more "white" (or at least, more like Australia). Maybe that's because people's English is much better there, things are more in English than in Hong Kong. When I first visited S'pore and Hong Kong, I said I'd LOVE to live in Sing but I NEVER wanted to live in HK. But here I am ;) ;) I do love Singapore though. I've gotta go back again, haven't been there for ages!!

louisouis is offline Registered User

I definitely think that Singapore has a better environment for raising kids, houses are bigger, public playgrounds are common, less pollution, better public school system, more relaxed environment. While Hong Kong does possess one attractive quality... $$$=better pay. Hence the 'dog eat dog' environment, I do wonder whether the higher pay is worthwhile...as you just tend to accumulate more materialistic rubbish in order to compensate the stress and guilt ...

Children's upbringing in Hk is also more focused on 'extra-curricular' activities, for example learning the piano or a musical instrument is often considered a basic requirement. Come on, this is the first place (and I have lived in a few countries) that a 'portfolio' and 'resume' is required for a young child to get into a school that has a half decent curriculum. Not to say that education in Singapore does not have its problems, but it is definitely less stressful for both parents and kids. And at least you do not need to pay thru your nose in order to put your child thru quality bilingual education. Will like to go back if I can ever convince my husband.

mscheerful is offline Registered User

well, i have a friend who is way too happy to be out of Singapore 4 years ago and they are really enjoying everything here including school, smaller flat, exciting life, children having more activities on every holiday and going places etc. The children are all in their pirmary and Kindy and they are dreaded to go back every holiday. I have live here for 9 for years and if i don't go back for 2 years (which i did exactly), i did not miss it at all, maybe the little bit of food. I love the village life style here - walking up to beautiful Island life - quiet and head towards a busy streets for work and back to my quiet cozy home. Life is certainly sweet and fun!

rachrobin is offline Registered User

I have lived in both and for me, Singapore wins hands down. I guess though, it really all depends on what you do and how much you earn. My husband and I work a lot harder in HK for a much worse standard of living, in terms of work hours and stress.

But the stand out to me is that people in Singapore are so much more friendlier, laid back and have nicer manners/hygiene.
    I love the food in both places, but Singapore is more diverse. The pollution levels and weather is also better in Singapore in my opinion.

michtan is offline Registered User

Hi,

I'm from Singapore. Hubby is here for work. In fact Singapore is more family oriented compare to Hong Kong. Environment and working stress is much better. Otherwise, there's not much of a difference.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast