Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Giving Birth at Prince of Wales

hkrose is offline Registered User

Giving Birth at Prince of Wales

I'm due in 2 months and am starting to get a bit nervous about giving birth at POW. I know the care will be good... I'm not really worried about that but I have been hearing some stories about the public system that are making me a bit nervous. Is anyone able to calm some of my fears?

1. Will they let me labor for hours and hours before even considering a c-section? I have a friend who was in labor for 36+hrs before they would do a c-section and I really don't want that to happen. I don't want a c-section but I don't want to risk the health of my baby either.

2. Can my husband stay with me during labor? And will I be with multiple women while in labor?

3. I can't seem to find my list for things I will need to bring with me... is there a website where this is listed? Is it hard to find anything that I will need?

Any other things I should be prepared for?

And just a side note... do any other westerners get comments about how big/fat you are in comparison to the Chinese women? I know I'm a bit emotional and extra sensitive right now but if one more person tells me that I look like I'm going to pop any minute... I think I'm gonna cry. :) I was trying so hard to watch my weight/exercise/etc (and I am smaller than I was with my 1st) but I'm not a toothpick to begin with and I'm not expecting a small baby (1st was almost 8lbs)... but alas... just a vent.

Thanks!

mosmom is offline Registered User

hi there
    i gave birth at the pow. to answer your questions:

1. unless your baby's health is under risk, they will let you labour till birth. if they find anything unusual, they will, of course, do a c-section (or whatever is necessary). the mchc informed me at that time that 'delivery time' is max. 60 min. if you can't press out your baby within that time, they do a c-section. i delivered within 40 min. and they were almost getting ready for a c-section too!

2. i laboured in a ward with other women for the first 10 hours or so. when they noticed that my labour pain was getting increasingly worse, they moved me to the delivery room, where i laboured in the presence of my husband only. besides, i was offered and given an epidural.

3. for admission, you'll need: antenatal health record, the couple's id cards, towels, tooth brush/tooth paste, comb, shower gel, mug, toilet tissues, slippers, underwear, at least 2 boxes of maternity pads, 15-20 diapers for baby, plastic cup, cotton wool, small change (don't bring valuables).
    for discharge, you'll need: clothing for mother and baby, baby blanket, diapers.
    i have this information from my mchc booklet.
    furthermore, check out the other threads in this forum. some moms have some individual advice, too!

oh, you're encouraged by the pow to bring your birth plan, too!

last but not least, i feel that i got somehow 'bigger' in size after having given birth. my t-shirts were too short, my bras too small, and after giving birth, i had to wear my maternity clothes for a couple of weeks. nevertheless, i think that's all very normal and you'll get back in shape after about a year!

all the best!

fhurley is offline Registered User

Hi,
    I cannot praise POW enough. I had my first baby there in Feb this year and it was a very positive experience.
    I was nervous as coming from England things can be quite different from what I had been led to believe the public system was like here. I wanted a natural birth, no episiotomy and my husband present. I also requested baby to stay with me constantly afterwards for breastfeeding.
    POW were fantastic they stuck to my birth plan throughout delivery and during aftercare. During labour the doctors and nurses read my wishes and worked really hard to stick to them. I had the birth I wished for - natural, no episiotomy and my husband there throughout. Afterwards they gave us some privacy to enjoy our new baby. As a result of the birth I was as good as new within two days.
    The nurses were great they helped me breastfeed and my baby stayed with me throughout on the ward. (This is up to you - you can have them taken to the nursery if you want to rest)
    Also I believe that POW has one of the best neo natal care units in HK because it is a teaching hospital this is especially important if there is a danger of complications with the baby. You may want to check as I believe that the private hospitals in Central send there babies to Queen Mary if there is a problem and you may find that is the case with Union and POW.
    I would recommend POW without reservation, if you want to talk to me about my experience please feel free to message me and I will send my phone number. There are some tips I was told before hand to help me have the birth I wanted.
    Good Luck
    Frances

Karups is offline Registered User

Smile Which Hospital is best Union Hosiptal Or PWH

Dear All,
    My delviery due date is near,first week of Dec 2008. Delivery second baby. First baby born in india. i have Little confusion which good one Private hospital or Public hospital. I read many thread it make me more confusion.

My conditions and questions:
    1) I want for my baby Breastfeeding. (for my first baby he used to drink an hour once, but little only after he will asleep). So in PWH will they arrange for it frenquently feeding.

2) what are things I need to buy for delviery, which i need to take to hospital?

3) Will they allow my husband with me at delivery time and How frenquent he can visit to ward?

4) Me and my husband only living in Hong kong. so no other ladies will takecare me. Do i need to bring someone to hongkong from india, is it needed? Few chinese friends who will takecare me not full time.

just for information.:)
    For my first delviery in india is different. After baby is cleaned they will give to us until baby is not usual. after that we need to take care and you can visit at anytime and see the baby. For my first baby delivery nearly 300 relatives and friends visit to see my baby. But it is different.

Please Give your valueable Tips and advice.

With Thanks,

Karups

smile123 is offline Registered User

Cost involved in Baby deliver at POW

Quote Originally Posted by mosmom View Post
    hi there
    i gave birth at the pow. to answer your questions:

1. unless your baby's health is under risk, they will let you labour till birth. if they find anything unusual, they will, of course, do a c-section (or whatever is necessary). the mchc informed me at that time that 'delivery time' is max. 60 min. if you can't press out your baby within that time, they do a c-section. i delivered within 40 min. and they were almost getting ready for a c-section too!

2. i laboured in a ward with other women for the first 10 hours or so. when they noticed that my labour pain was getting increasingly worse, they moved me to the delivery room, where i laboured in the presence of my husband only. besides, i was offered and given an epidural.

3. for admission, you'll need: antenatal health record, the couple's id cards, towels, tooth brush/tooth paste, comb, shower gel, mug, toilet tissues, slippers, underwear, at least 2 boxes of maternity pads, 15-20 diapers for baby, plastic cup, cotton wool, small change (don't bring valuables).
    for discharge, you'll need: clothing for mother and baby, baby blanket, diapers.
    i have this information from my mchc booklet.
    furthermore, check out the other threads in this forum. some moms have some individual advice, too!

oh, you're encouraged by the pow to bring your birth plan, too!

last but not least, i feel that i got somehow 'bigger' in size after having given birth. my t-shirts were too short, my bras too small, and after giving birth, i had to wear my maternity clothes for a couple of weeks. nevertheless, i think that's all very normal and you'll get back in shape after about a year!

all the best!
    Hello can you tell me cost involved for baby delivery at POW hongkong

RSK
    RSK is offline Registered User

We were there for one week - 3 days before delivery and 4days after delivery - with the baby in paediatric ward - we paid 650$ in total