Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Helper Contract

NYCMel is offline Registered User

Helper Contract

Ok, this might seem as a silly question, but how do you figure out your helper's salary? Is it standard and as they stay longer with you, you give them a raise or just more vacation time? I am new to this and am currently interviewing helpers.

Thanks!

mushi is offline Registered User

u don;t have to worry about this one...salary is fixed by the govt. at $3480 unless it has been increased of late.....long term bonuses are also prescribed by the immigration laws.

salevizos is offline Registered User

NYCMel,

There are many forums on this topic - check out the Helper Forum group under Geobaby Forums.

I just hired a helper recently, and found that while there is a gov't statutory minimum, all the helpers I interviewed (all of whom worked for two-parent working American families who were willing to provide telephone recommendations to me, had been in HK for a while (10+ years) and spoke English quite well) were paid more than the minimum - anywhere from 4.5k/mo and more. Its at your discretion and really depends on your $ situation and how much you are asking your helper to do.

Good luck,
    Sarah

rani is offline Administrator

NYCMel, we started our helper at min wage. She was new to HK and we were both taking a bit of a risk. We've been happy with her and she has really become a part of our family. She's now on her 3rd contract with us and we've increased her salary at every renewal. Do whatever you feel comfortable with. I've had friends who've given a high salary $5K/mth at the start, only to terminate the helper after 2 months cos they didn't have the experience they claim to or they had a bad attitude.

this is all great advice. thanks everyone!

Smiles is offline Registered User

Just to let you know as of 10th July 2008 the helper min wage has been increased by the government to HK$3,580.

is there a website where I can have a look at the new salary?

peainpod is offline Registered User

The official govt website listing the new salary can be found here:
    http://www.gov.hk/en/residents/emplo...stichelper.htm

You may have already seen coverage of this in the local news but basically the govt is proposing to waive the HK$400 monthly levy (basically a tax which the employer pays to the govt - either in one lumpsum or in four payments spread over 2 years) on new contracts. It isn't completely clear whether this will apply to contracts starting from this September or August so many employers are holding back from signing a new contract until it has been clarified. (This is a substantial savings of HK$9600 over the two years, so it's worth waiting for.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast