Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

part time helper nedded

ninahh is offline Registered User

part time helper nedded

hi,

i am giving birth in october but will only need a part time helper starting from january 2009
    i don't really know how to solve the problem. i have heard that employing part time maids is illegal. i also want someone to stay out.
    it's not yet clear what times i'll need someone. but i am planning on going back to work part time. so it might be about three times a week. she should also clean the apartment and do the laundry.
    anyone has any suggestions? how about local maids, are they very expensive?

mushi is offline Registered User

check merrymaids.com they r efficient, honest and very legal - they charge about $75 an hour depending on the no. of bulk coupons u purchase....i ahve used them and was very happy with the service.

i've heard that they only do cleaning and i'll need someone to look after the baby as well.

Smiles is offline Registered User

Hi Ninahh
    You're having the same dilema I had, due in October (I'm in your due date club!) and will be back at work 3 days a week in Jan.

The problems are that any cleaner you hire from a local service will only clean. You can hire a western nanny from somewhere like rent-a-mum or annerly but they do cost something like $150 an hour!! (and they won't clean as well).

So really it does cost so much more then having a live in helper. I really didn't like the idea too much either but have been lucky to find a lovely helper (she isn't starting until Oct) who I think will fit in with us really well. I admit it will be strange at first having someone else live with us but then having a baby will be such a huge change I'm assuming her help will out weigh that! Also the idea that on my days off I can concentrate on playing with our little girl and have someone do the boring stuff like cleaning and shopping appeals to me more and more!!

It's also worth thinking about things like if you need to pop out to an appointment or even if you and hubby want a romantic night out together. As none of us have family here to help out with that having someone you can ask on the spot will be a luxery.

I know live out helpers are still illegal (although I'm sure a lot of people still do it anyway) and I think the only way you can get one approved is to prove that there isn't a suitable space for her to stay in your home.

If you do decide on a helper take your time to find someone you think can be part of the 'family'. Afterall this is someone you are trusting to take care of you child.

Good luck with the decision, hope to see you at the next meeting!

P.S I think you can hire local maid through a government website but then I think you might have to brush up your cantonese for communication!

hi smiles,

yes, i've talked it throug with my husband the other night and i think we'll hire a fulltime helper. although she would be very bored as i think there wont be much to do. anyway i only need someone starting january 09 as my mum is coming, and so are my lovely parents in law :)
    when do think i have to start looking?
    will def. join the the dinner in august
    nina

I think it takes about 5 weeks for the paper work for a new contract (don't quote me on that I read it somewhere....) So maybe in a couple of months keep a look out on here for any recommendations, that way you give yourself time to find someone you really like. Also possibly worth having someone start a few weeks before you go back to work so you both get used to each other plus work out how you want her to do things with your baby and around the house.

I'll let you know if I hear of anyone....see you at August dinner!

thanks smiles
    see you at the dinner :)