Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

sick of the pollution

aussiegal is offline Registered User

sick of the pollution

Just wanted to have a rant. I am so sick of the pollution here. These last few days have been awful. I feel it in my eyes, my throat, my nose, my skin.

It just plain sucks. Makes me want to get out of HK really fast.

NYC2HK is offline Registered User

I am so sorry to hear that! My husband and I are moving with our 9 month old on August 15th and we have heard that the southside is the better place to live in terms of pollution...

weishy is offline Banned

hi i;m livign in tung chung and so far no problems at all,maybe u should move to a less crowded place?

weishy is offline Banned

or u can install a air purifier at home????may help????

karmah1 is offline Registered User
    Sydney, Australia (but would like to return to HK)

Aussiegal I can't agree with you more. My husband and I came to HK on 2 year contracts after 8 years in London. We have no desire to stay when they are up in March so we are heading home to Australia.

The main reason is we are unexpectedly expecting our first baby in December and want to bring him up with fresh Australian air. Its a shame as HK is a great city and we enjoy living and working here but we both feel the pollution is affecting our health and prevents us from enjoying the out-doors.

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User

What is really sad is that the government doesn't seem to care about worsening pollution levels! Just because we've had a couple of weeks of blue skies they seem to think the pollution problem is 'solved,'- talk about burying their heads in the sand.

The pollution saddens me because HK is a fantastic city and if we are not careful the pollution is going to define it; but I'm also saddened by the governments lack of concrete action to tackle it.

And what also saddens me is that if they do do anything to tackle it, it's not because the health of HK's citizens are at risk but because businesses are moving out of HK or refusing to set up here because of the pollution!

Weishy, I live Southside. There is only one other building in our area. It doesn't get any less populated than that in HK.

For two days i can't see Stanley from our windows. i probably have visibility of a few hundred meters at best.

I feel bad taking my kids outside. Not surprisingly i dreamt about blue clean skies of Sydney last night!

I don't understand how locals can put up with it. It's funny, the government regulates prices for bus fares, ferry fares etc but doesn't give a crap about the air that people breathe. As long as we can get to work that's all that matters!

NYC2HK, that's funny- we'd like to go to NY!

Seriously, you need to prepare yourself mentally for the pollution here. Even Southside is very bad. Unless you've lived in even more polluted cities, (the only that spring to mind are funnily enough in China), you can't fathom how bad it is. I thought we'd be able to handle it for a few years but today i'm just angry that we're here putting our kids through it.

And of course, it's summer now so things will only be worse in Winter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast