Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Union vs. Prince of Wales

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

Union vs. Prince of Wales

I've narrowed it down to these 2 hospitals, based on recommendations and close proximity to Shenzhen, where I stay.
    Since I'm not a HK resident, it seems that I will have to pay nearly as much at POW as I will at Union.

So my question is WHICH ONE? I'm looking for
    -ample baby time(preferably in my own room, which I know Union does not allow unless you have a private room which I will not)
    - good breastfeeding guidance(this is my first)
    - good help from the nurses
    - and all around doctoral expertise. Post-natally this is very important, because my baby may be predisposed to a (easily fixable though serious) congenital defect from Mommy (pyloric stenosis - baby will have 20% chance of developing it), and also to address possible concerns of downs syndrome and its accompanying ailments (I was given a higher risk than normal).

Above all, this is my first baby, I don't know what I'm doing, so I need people who do know, and I would also like to enjoy the experience as much as possible.
    I would appreciate any advice about whether to go public and private (when the cost is the same) and specifically about these two contenders.
    Thanks so much!

micstand is offline Registered User

I don't think I'm any help in answering your questions as I am also expecting with my first at about 15 wks, but I did go into POW earlier this week to inquire about their private ward and they told me they were full and weren't taking in new patients! They gave us a phone number to call but its at work right now, but I'll post it tomorrow for you. Sorry I can't be of more help.

megan2008 is offline Registered User

Have you visited the two hospitals? I visited both and definately felt more comfortable at Union. It was much harder to get help with things at POW, like answering questions and such. Plus (it seemed to me) that less people spoke English at POW so it may be harder to get around as a patient. I have heard that you can keep the baby in the room with you. There are restrictions with the father; I've heard that if you start labor early that the father cannot be with you until you are closer to delivering? Not sure how valid this information is but I have heard it mentioned. Hope that helps. Good luck

tallmama is offline Registered User

i gave birth to my girl in union this feb. union doesn't allow baby time in the room (for private ward, there's only one baby time each day, or u can take care of the baby unless u declared that u have a nanny taking care of ur baby 24 hrs a day). the only time u can hold ur baby is at the feeding room (5 times a day). daddy can only watch baby through the window of the visiting room for 15 mins and no photos allowed. there'll be nurses helping out first time breastfeeding moms (and also a dvd on breastfeeding in cantonese & mandarin). the nurses are very helpful and u can always ask them questions.

no matter which hospital u choose, u have to book yesterday. have u had ur pre-natal check up in union or ur gyn/ob have contacts with union? not all doctors in hk operates in union.

feel free to PM me if u have any questions re giving birth in union.

Nashua852 is offline Registered User

I had my son last December at Union Hospital and overall I was pleased with the facilities and level of comfort. The standard rooms are about as good as the same thing offered at higher price brackets on the island. It was spacious, clean and the nurses were very friendly. However two things really bothered me; one - It was not stressed that my husband would not be allowed to hold the baby for the duration of our stay other than at the birth itself and even I was restricted to seeing K only at feeding times. This sort of 'picking and choosing' when I could see the baby really did not help when we went home because suddenly I had to deal with this little bab all the time -- so the transition to motherhood was not as kind as it would have been if I was given the hands-on lesson from the beginning. Although it must be said that most hospitals in HK do have a similar policy although I think you can room in at POW.

My other concern was the labour itself - I did it pretty much drug free because I was not told how to use the gas and air properly save for the last 15 mins. although looking back I should have asked -- thing is I had no idea I was doing it wrong! What really appalled me was that even thought the young maternity nurses in the delivery ward knew I had no pain relief and therefore labour was as hard as the name implies they were actually giggling at me during the pushing stages,which is hard irrespective of if you were juiced up on meds or not! Plus when I was being stitched up it took me and my husband asking repeatedly for a blanket to no avail when our doctor actually put down his tools and asked quite sternly for one. (Our OBGYN recommended Union - he's a terrific doc with his own clinic in Kwai Fong PM me for his details if you like -- I'll be sticking to him for as long as I can)

As bad as these incidents seemed at the time in retrospect especially as a FTM I should have been more assertive about my birthplan -- temperature etc. However I don't think it was any excuse for the behaviour of those two nurses specifically. May I add this un-professionalism was VERY different from the rest of my stay there.

All in all, my experience with Union was positive - we did leave a day early as I just wanted to get our new life as a family going! Also, in terms of cost there were no hidden costs on the bill which was terrific and the entire birth cost us just under 30K including doctors fees, meals and the lot. Plus, the rooms are great and the view terrific. Good Luck and I hope this helps!

Last edited by Nashua852; 08-06-2008 at 08:53 PM.

Ai li is offline Registered User

I will be delivering at Union Hospital this month. My husband and I went to the hospital to obtain more information about the packages & services last month. We're toured by a customer service officer. She explained and answered all the questions about the packages and services. (Very useful tour, if you are still planning which to choose from)

Here are the info that we obtained:

1) All the babies will be kept at the baby room (2nd floor). If you need to do breastfeeding, you have to walk to the baby room to feed the baby. (Private rooms are located at 11th floor, which you have to take the lift down to 2nd floor for breast feeding). The customer service also explained that for the new borned baby, you are expected to breastfeed them at every 2 hrs normally. Which means you have to walk to the baby room to do breastfeeding at every 2 hours. I cant imagine to wake up at every 2 hrs to walk to the baby room. If you are on C, the nurse will only push the baby to you on the first day of labour, not the following days until you have any complication after labour.

2) If you are in private ward, the baby is allowed to be with you in the room for only 1 hr, unless you have a professional nanny (certified) with the baby in you room. Then you are allowed to be with your baby for 24 hrs.

3) If you are in private ward, you or your visitor can have unlimited visit to view your baby at baby room from the window. But not for the sharing wards.

4) If you are in private ward, you can loan their breast pump (only one time) for free. Therefore, you are advised to bring your breast pump.

5) One companion bed (free) will be available upon request at private ward. You have to pay additional companion bed. There is a sofa in the private room which you can turn to a bed, according to the customer service officer.

The hospital quoted me around HK$80.000 for the package (Virginal delivery, including doctor fee, I am going for private ward).

I must agree, it doesnt sound very convenient to any breastfeeding mom. Cant imagine i have to wake up at every 2 hrs to take a lift down to 2nd floor for feeding. However, the ambience of the room is definately worth the price. They have a very nice view too. Private ward is from HK$2300 to HK$3900 per day, depend on the size of the room.

If you need more info, you can PM me too.
    Cheers,
    Aili

Nashua852 is offline Registered User

I forgot to mention -- One of the strong points of the hospital was that if you specified that you want your baby solely breastfed they will call you whenever it needs a feed -- it was more like every 3 hours for me and I did the nightfeeds as well - save one, as the after contractions hurt a lot as your uterus goes back into shape. Having said that I'm sure breastfeeding so frequently was the only reason I fit back into my pre pregnancy jeans -- just!

Ai li is offline Registered User

breastfeeding at Union hospital

Quote Originally Posted by Nashua852 View Post
    I forgot to mention -- One of the strong points of the hospital was that if you specified that you want your baby solely breastfed they will call you whenever it needs a feed -- it was more like every 3 hours for me and I did the nightfeeds as well - save one, as the after contractions hurt a lot as your uterus goes back into shape. Having said that I'm sure breastfeeding so frequently was the only reason I fit back into my pre pregnancy jeans -- just!
    Hi Nashua,

Did you ask the nurse to bring the baby to you instead of you going down to feed the baby at the middle of the night? I do not know how flexible they are to have baby being delivered to the room for feeding? Many thanks

Aili

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast