Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

When should I apply for kindergarten

mrs chan is offline Registered User

When should I apply for kindergarten

Hi,

My son is 19 months, is it the right time to apply for kindergartens now. Im actually interested in Intl kindergarten in Tung Chung.

Should I go along to the schoold open day first before applying, or apply first then take a visit afterwards.

Welcome for all suggestion.....
    First Time Mum!

HKfornow is offline Registered User

Schools are very competitive here in HK, so contact the school ASAP and go on their school tour either privately or via open house. That should give you at least a feel of the school and you can see whether you want to proceed with the application (you will also find out what they require and what your chances are to get in). Good luck

fairy-godmother is offline Registered User

mrs chan,

kindergarten(s) start accepting applications in Sept each year, so its a good idea to study the ideal nursey/ kindergarten and submit an application. you don't have to decide which kindergarten till they actually "offers" you a place. Don't limit your choose just yet cause your child have to go through the interview process.
    this is what i learnt during this year, i wanted my daughter to enter nursery when she reach 2 since both my husband & I work. And I really like Learning Habitat in Tsing Yi since it provides both English & Cantonese lessons. That was the only ONE i applied for and I was rejected cause over 300 children at the interview and she was a "small" bb at the time and she didn't perform any of the "required" taskes.

noc
    noc is offline Registered User

Fairy Godmother, what kinds of tasks were required??

kakaeo is offline Registered User

each school is different and I think it is quite unfair at times. If the baby is like the younger age group of 2-years-olds, he/she may not be able to perform certain tasks.

My kid was asked (this is from different schools) to put a 4 piece puzzle together (with a picture on the side), put shapes of different colors in their own categories, they gave points on how much you involve during the interview or how little you involve. I think there are even classes you can go to get ready for interview.

fairy-godmother is offline Registered User

they used toys and mainly asked about colors i.e. yellow, red, blue and green. As described by Kakaeo, they also ask the child to put the different sharps back into the box.

In some other kindergartens, teacher sing and do movement and see if the child follows. Others, sit them on the floor and read them a story and see if the child is willing to sit down.

I hope this help.

mrs chan is offline Registered User

Ive heard alot young children do not respond well to the tasks because they are too yound. Since my son will be 2yrs 7 mths, wonder if he has to wait another year before going into kindergarten, since the minimum age is 2yrs 8mths.

kashismum is offline Registered User

Mrs Chan
    Your son could start as soon as he's 2 years 8 months if the kindergarten will allow him to. He'll have just missed a few weeks of term.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast