Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Helper 101

aussie mum is offline Registered User

our helper isn't interested in eating what we eat - she seems to prefer to eat chicken feet rather than atlantic salmon steaks or sole fillet ;-)

we pay her $500 per month food allowance and we share rice, condiments etc.

I couldn't last a week on $500 but I think she probably ends up saving $$ each month as she doesn't eat much

carang is offline Registered User

granted, our helper doesn't have the same appreciation of some of what we eat as we have. she isn't overly excited by the thought of a beautifully bbq-ed thick t-bone steak. she likes hers cooked to the point that it's almost leather. but she still likes eating what we do.

kmalia is offline Registered User

oh no, no offense taken! was just realizing that my initial response may not have been clear. was trying to clarify!

Matty is offline Registered User

We offered her the choice.
    She prefers to eat what we eat, saves her cooking twice.

Have found that it has been an advantage. She loves to cook, and eating the same food as us seems to have inspired her to learn new and interesting dishes.

peainpod is offline Registered User

It really does depend on the helper. Ours don't cook (but loves food) and she seems to really appreciate eating what I cook for our family. (She does all the food prep and washing up, so I don't mind doing the actual cooking.)

I asked her if she would prefer a food allowance and offered her HK$1000 with access to all our condiments (she eats quite a lot so I would still spend less thru the money I save from not needing to buy her share) but she told me she still preferred for us to provide food instead. What I do is have her buy additional supplies from the Philippines stores and put it on our household account in order to supplement her breakfast/lunches and on the weekend when my husband and I eat out. (It usually only amounts to about HK$200 a month.)

On a separate note, what does everyone do for their helper's toiletries and other daily-use items (shampoo, toothpaste, soap, body lotion, face cream etc.)? I've been buying them for our helper but my colleagues at work tell me that their helpers buy their own. What's the normal practice?

Last edited by peainpod; 10-02-2008 at 10:44 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12