Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Training baby to sleep with benadril cough syrup

MLBW Guest

Oh, and I do have compassion for your plight. My son did not sleep through the night until he was 5 months old--and when he was a newborn (until 3-4 months old) he only slept about 45 minutes at a time--off and on all day and night--I was literally losing my mind--I thought that I was on the brink of seeing elephants and stuff coming out of the walls, I was so tired! I hear you. The only thing that helped us was getting him on a schedule--which takes discipline on the part of parents, we soon learned. I don't believe whole-heartedly in the "let them cry it out" theory--as when I did that originally with my son it only backfired and made him more terrified of being put down to sleep. The best book I was ever recommended that helped me was "Secrets of the Baby Whisperer" which helped me learn how to take a middle-of-the-road approach to getting my son into a rhythm in his life. I broke a lot of the "rules" but somehow he started sleeping through the night at 5 months--about 2 weeks after I read that book and started applying some of the principles. And now at 10 months, what I thought was previously impossible has happened--he eats 3 square meals a day, drinks 3 bottles a day and I can put him down in his crib at 6 pm and walk away and he might fuss and cry for at the most 5 minutes--but he can put himself to sleep and stay that way for 12 hours straight! My mind has finally returned! I wouldn't drug your baby if I were you even though honestly, that thought ran through my mind at least a dozen times while I was begging him to sleep! There are other options. Hang in there!

aussie mum is offline Registered User

mushi
    I can recommend www.saveoursleep.com
    I bought a few of her articles and then her book recently when my newborn was finding it difficult to sleep due to reflux (and then needing to be rocked or held to sleep - every 30 mins!). She covers everything from self settling, feeding, routines the works. you don't have to follow her routines to use some of her advice(I don't - but we have seemed to find a schedule of sorts on our own).

I tried a few other methods but found hers to be the one I felt most comfortable with and the one my son responded to best.
    I specifically like that you can take a gentle approach if you wish - or leave your baby to cry a little longer as long as the crying is only protesting and not emotional. I used the gentle approach for under 4 month olds with great success.

you are welcome to borrow my copy of the book if you like. Just PM me.

mushi is offline Registered User

girls, u all have really scared me and whatever little doubt i had in mind about giving benadril has gone out in thin air....i am NOT doing it...and i feel so much better saying so.....after reading all yr comments i googled more for benadryl and u all were right so THANKS so much.,....but now something else is troubling me a lot...my baby has a bad case of cold/cough and ear infection and this doc had given me DIMETAPP syrup for the cold and AUGMENTIN for the infection....which i gave him yesterday and today....do u think these are unsafe too? he does look better today...but do they have the same kind of reactions? i wanted to double -check with my GP but thought a pediatrician would know better....and i don;t want to name the doctor really...

MLBW Guest

My son is being treated for an ear infection right now and the doctor prescribed amoxicillin and he has fully recovered. I know that sometimes augmentin is also prescribed depending on doctor and on whether the child has an allergy to other drugs--both my brother and sister are allergic to augmentin so that would be my only concern is if your son has an allergy and if he is taking the proper does--usually the dose is about a teaspoon, twice daily or the mg equivalent. I'm not sure about the cough medicine. In the USA you can't even buy cough medicine for children as studies have found it is not effective and there have been a lot of negative reports about it. I would search for home-remedy type things to help with the cough--such a brews of ginger, lemon and sugar to soothe the throat. Maybe the other ladies have similar suggestions. I'm glad you're not doing the Benadryl--you are truly a good mom :0)

carang is offline Registered User

my son has suffered NUMEROUS ear infections in his short 3.5 years... we've had both amoxicillin & augmentin at different times. they both seem to work for my boy... keep in mind that these are BOTH anti-biotics. in such a case as ear infection, i would DEFINITELY continue. if left untreated, the eardrum could burst, or he could lose hearing! follow the doctor's orders to the letter! DO NOT stop if he 'appears' to be getting better! the same as with any course of anti-biotics, the ENTIRE course MUST be finished, or else next time, your boy could be resistant to them!!!

i have given my little ones dimetapp on occasion when they are coughing etc. but i follow the directions to the T. no estimating with amounts or timings...

aussie mum is offline Registered User

if you are giving antibiotics (which are often essential to cure the infection) you might also want to consider giving infant / children's probiotics. this will replace the good bacteria that is also being killed off by the medication. Udo's choice does some that you can get at 360.
    my doctor always gives them to us at the same time any antibiotics are needed.

mushi is offline Registered User

thanks mlbw, carang, aussie mum, i was so worried i also spoke to my doctor from my home country and he said that augmentin and dimetapp should not be a prob so i feel much better now....he said i should also give him nutrolin for his loose motions.....since augmentin is giving him loosies which my pediatrician did not tell me about ....i thought they were frm the plums i was feeding him.....i don;t know whether i should change my doctor or not....she does have a tendency to give strong medecine but if it works and is not harmful ....she is my doc since my baby was born .....then whats the harm? what do u all say? also pl. give me the brand name for amoxicillin and probiotics....tahnks again

carang is offline Registered User

the other thing to do when the baby is on anti-biotics is to change the nappy IMMEDIATELY after a BM...otherwise they might develop nappy rash very quickly. our kids would get blisters within minutes of having a poop if their nappy wasn't changed immediately

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast