Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Solids not going well

Swoon is offline Banned

Solids not going well

I started my currently 7 month old girl on solids for about 3 weeks now and it's not going well. She won't open her mouth and if we somehow get the food in, then she pushes it out or she takes her hands and swipes the food out. It takes incredible patience to feed her!

So far, we tried giving her rice cereal, pureed carrot, broccoli, and potato. The only thing that went ok was the rice cereal. Everything else was rejected. At this point, I'm not sure how to proceed. Should I just keep giving her rice cereal for awhile or should I keep on trying to persist in giving other foods. I haven't tried any fruit yet because I heard it's best to get in as much veggies as possible before baby tastes sweet food.

She takes 28 to 32 ounces of milk formula everyday and seems content. I only breastfed until she was four months. Other than this food problem, she is generally a very happy and content baby and growing fine. No illnesses so far. But still no teeth yet.

carang is offline Registered User

try mixing a VERY little bit of the veg etc in with the rice cereal, it kind of deadens the flavour a little bit.

remember that a baby has about 10,000 taste buds, whereas an adult has only about 3,000 (thank you discovery channel!). after drinking milk for so long, imagine what broccoli would taste like? YUCK! i still don't like it!

we always introduced the veg mixed in with the rice cereal for a few days/feeds for new food so that the taste wasn't too overpowering.

good luck! try not to let it get to you!

Swoon is offline Banned

Wow, that is very interesting info. I didn't know that baby's tastes buds were so acute. Now it makes more sense because she ate rice cereal easily and without problem. So I will definitely try combining the food with rice cereal and hope it goes better. Thanks carang for your suggestion!

izzy is offline Registered User

I agree with Carang. I started my little one with solids a couple of weeks ago. She loves rice cereal but not too fond of vegies like carrots, sweet potatoes, etc. I added rice cereal to carrots and formula to the sweet potatoes puree. She's good to feed vegies now.

cyberfish88 is offline Registered User

I just want to agree with what's already been said! I mix any new food with breastmilk and my LO doesn't seem so taken aback by it. Even something as mild as sweet potato seemed shocking to her at first but mixed with milk she gobbled it right down. Then after a few days I was able to give it to her alone. Just tried banana yesterday and I could just see all those 10,000 tastebuds at work (thanks Carang!) by the look on her face! Today will try it mixed with a little milk to make it more familiar.

good luck!

Frenchy is offline Registered User

Just wanted to add that giving some sweet food will probably not change your baby's taste for other food. The taste of an apple or a banana, with no sugar added, is very soft (the sugar level of a banana is lower than a sweet potato).
    We have started to put pureed banana in the rice cereal, it was its first solid food, and a few months later he is eating absolutely everything.
    So... if your baby likes it and it makes both of you happy... don't hesitate ;)

isabella is offline Registered User

Just want to add a few points here:
    -sometime BB push the food out of the mouth, it's becoz they're still learning the skill of sealing the mouth shut and taking the food to the back to swallow, so as long as they're smiling, I'll keep trying.
    - also find that the size of the spoon matter, if it's too wide for my gal, she get upset and can't eat ( she's 5mth)
    - when I introduce new food I use my finger, learn that from books, best 1st spoon for BB, and they like to suck it, specially if u breast feed b4!
    - my gal luv mashed banana/apple/pear/ pumkin - great to mix/w rice cereal.
    I wrote such long comment here....coz 1st food was difficult ti my son ( here it's 2 now), n he didn't start until about 9 month! so feel 4u la..

NYCMel is offline Registered User

stick with rice cereal and keep trying at each feeding. remember also that your baby is learning how to throw the the food back with her tongue as well - it's a skill and the more practice she has, the better she will be at doing it!