Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Formula Recommendation?

megan2008 is offline Registered User

Formula Recommendation?

Hello,
    I have been both breastfeeding and formula feeding my 7 week old baby. The problem is that my baby is constipated when she has a bowel movement which is about one poo every other day. I have tried adding more water and that has not helped. Also, she is very gassy and has quite a bit of pain before and during her bowel movement and we have to help her pass the bowel movement by massaging her tummy. Also, she often scrunches up and grunts in pain, sometimes screams, throughout the day. It breaks my heart eveytime this happens, I hate it. The doctor recommend that I try another brand; currently, she is on Nestle NAN 1. Has anybody else experienced this with their baby? Also, I was wondering if anybody could recommend a different brand? Is anybody using organic or recommend organic? I also want to make sure that she is getting adaquate nutrition. Any information is greatly appreciated

cyberfish88 is offline Registered User

Hi Megan2008,

Don't worry too much since gassiness and what seems like painful bowel movements are perfectly normally at that age - especially since their digestive tract is just figuring out how to work. I went through the same thing. My LO would scrunch up and scream, but then once it passed or she farted, she was fine! Keep up the stomach massages and it also helps to fold the legs into the chest. Sorry I will leave the advice on the best formulas to try to avoid constipation to other posters since I just breastfeed.

Good luck and hang in there.

clowe77 is offline Registered User

Have you tried Infacol? I still use a few drops (just directly into bottle) for my 6mo old who's been gassy since day one (he drinks BM+Formula). Also there are bottles out there that purport to reduce gas... we use the special medela haberman feeder which seems to help. As to brand, we use Enfamil but not sure if any brands exist out there that are better for gas... I usually mix with BM so can't really comment on Enfamil per se...

Konradsmom is offline Registered User

my experience with bub is that his digestion and tolerance for formula got better when we switched him to goat's milk. He was screaming and wrestling with us everytime we fed him, and slowly ( not overnight though), he became calmer and lress resistant when we switched to goat. I hear its easier to digest, and lo and behold, he no longer pushes the bottle away. he also seem to sleep easier after his bed time bottle..

not sure if this is for every one but perhaps worth thinking about..

LeahH is offline Registered User

Re. organic brands, we supplemented expressed BM with Babynat. Chose that one as it has no added DHA/ARA etc.

megan2008 is offline Registered User

I just started babynat and am curious about DHA/ARA. I have heard mixed reviews on it and was wondering what you know about it. It seems like it is a good thing for babies to have so I am second guessing the organic formula. What are your thoughts?

LeahH is offline Registered User

I did a lot of research online into both postive and negative views of synthetic DHA/ARA supplements in formula and the upshot (in my opinion only!!) is that, at best, there is no conclusive links to support the benefits. As I was forced to supplement with formula, I wanted an organic product to cut down on synthetic elements. The long chain fatty acids in BM simply cannot be replicated and the whole 'closest to breast milk' claim seems like a huge marketing ploy. Here is an overview of some research out of the Cornucopia Institute. http://cornucopia.org/DHA/DHA_Executive_Summary_web.pdf

I also phoned Babynat in France and asked them to explain their position on DHA/ARA. They cited pretty much what is contained in the report.

All my opinion, but hope that helps!