Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Antenatal Classes

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User

Antenatal Classes

Hi! I'm currently 17 weeks and a few days pregnant (due at the very end of March) with my first baby. As it's my first I really don't know too much. Every week there seems to be one (or more) new topic(s) that I think about. This week I'm thinking about antenatal classes and was wondering if I could get some advice on when it would be appropriate for me to start taking antenatal classes and what kind of classes people usually take (i.e. is it necesary to take an antenatal class and a breast feeding class if I'm planning on breast feeding?). Also, I've been reading up on antenatal classes at Annerley and at the HK Sanatorium and also a friend of mine has recommended Matilda's antenatal classes (though I'm not booked to deliver at Matilda). Any recommendations on what classes are good? Could anyone please give me some advice on these above questions? Thanks so much!

Tigerlily is offline Registered User

Hiya
    Following some friends' advise I have signed up for the Annerly baby and behond prenatal classes.
    They suggest to take it when you are around 28 weeks so hopefully you won't forget what you have learnt by the time baby arrives. It is meant to be a good one and it covers many topics....

Anyway we are all having the same worries and questions, my little one is due early JAN and I like get together with the otehr mums to be due in JAN/MAR.
    It is nice to share what are your thoughts with somebody in the same situations
    If you fancy coming along sometimes check the due date club, the next gathering is for wednesday and you are more than welcome to join.

Dink is offline Registered User

Hi there - I'm doing Annerley antenatal classes at the moment (my first baby's due in Feb 09 so I am a bit early but couldn't get a place on a later course). I can really recommend them, they are informative and reassuring. But, if you want to do them, don't make my mistake - book early!!

plumtree is offline Registered User

I did the Matilda classes before my baby was born and found them very useful. The topics included labour, including when you go to hospital, what anaesthetics are commonly used, breastfeeding, what you do with your baby when you get home! The classes run at the Matilda but they also have a Central location. They book up early, so book soon!

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User

Thanks everyone for your comments. They are quite helpful and I think we will go ahead and sign up for the Annerley class - hopefully I'm not too late to get in at a time I want!

In addition to taking the Annerley or Mathilda class are you guys going to take a separate breast feeding class? Like with La Leche?

Also, thanks Tigerlily for inviting me to the gatherings. I will definitely check out the thread for Jan/Mar moms. Unfortunately I work full time and happen to have a work dinner on the night you guys are having a dinner next week. So I'll have to wait for next time.

plumtree is offline Registered User

The Matilda class has one class on BF, which is pretty comprehensive. Maybe best to attend LLL meetings after baby is born, or get home support?

Dink is offline Registered User

Hi there - yes Annerley also include a 2 hour breastfeeding class... which I think is probably as much as you need. Can't learn anymore til you have a baby to practice with!

aussie mum is offline Registered User

i highly recommend the LLL breastfeeding class in addition to any antenatal class you choose to do. I attended one of Sarah's bf classes even though it was my 2nd baby and I still learnt A LOT. She also encourages your partner to attend which is great.