Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help--Union or Matilda

carey is offline Registered User

Help--Union or Matilda

Thank your for taking time to offer advice.

I have been reading many thread sfrom all the forums and I learn a lot but I haven't yet make up my mind about which hospital to go and I need some help.

My situation is this
    I am due in June and our insurance cover all costs. so, cost is not an issues in a way. I would really like to use Matilda with all her good reviews.

But We live a lot closer to Shatin and it's easier and a lot cheaper for us to check up and for my family to visit me in Shatin.

However, the only thing I am not sure about Union is that when I try to make an appointment with them yesterday, they asked me to choose a C section and a natural delivery doctor. I prefer natural birth but I wanted a professional suggestion first since they found benign tumor in my uterus before. I am not sure how this tumor might affect which way of delivery to choose and I wanted professional advice.

When I called Matilda, they said their Ob can preform both.

So, what are your experience with this? is it usual that you have to decide on this? Thank you again.

joshsmum is offline Registered User

Hi.

It sounds weird to me that you have to choose a natural or c-section delivery doctor already? I was all for a natural delivery and then developed pre-eclampsia at 36 weeks, so I had to have a c-section at 38 weeks. How I could have forseen this when I booked my hospital at 8 weeks I have no idea!!

I gave birth at the Matilda and loved it, I highly recommend it. Everyone is so lovely & helpful and the food was fantastic!

Good Luck with your decision and the rest of your pregnancy.

Belinda

Matilda

Hi Belinda,
    Thank you for your reply. It's very helpful.

There is something with Matilda thought. I called to inquire and they provided me a list of OB/GN and gave me number to schedule appointments.

I checked out different OB/GN online according to the list and decided on a few (in case if the only one I know is too busy) names I then called. I wanted to have OB/Gn who can speak both Cantonese and English because I want both my family and husband can be kept informed.

Anyway, I called. The lady answered the phone told me some of the OB names I gave them were not from the hospital or she rarely saw them there. She even questioned me if I was reading from a list of her hospital.

I felt a little puzzled because I got that list from them and I just followed the steps suggested in their email.

I am new to the Hongkong healthcare system. But I guess I need suggestion for a good OB who can get me a bed in Matilda or Union since OB seemed work in different hospital here. I will go on looking on other threads for good OBs.

But anyone heard of or have had
    Dr Chan Patrick and Cheung Grace Wai in Matilda.

Thank you again.

jaz1311 is offline Registered User

Hi Carey

I am actually due for a c-section on 12 Nov 2008.

Just like you I have a tumor in my uterus. My tumor was quite big it measures 10cm x 10cm.

I have been seeing this private OB who have booked me into the Matilda and he supports narural delivery but due to my tumor now I need to deliver by c-section.

Due to the size of of my tumor and further medical complication he have refered me to Queen Mary, but I am still seeing him for follow up care

I am actually with Dr Edmond Hon, he speaks both English and Chinese

You can PM me if you need more info.

Last edited by jaz1311; 10-21-2008 at 11:08 PM. Reason: miss out some info

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User

If you are interested in breastfeeding ask both hospitals about their rooming-in policy. As far as I know the Matilda will let you room-in with no problem but at the Union you have to keep the baby in the nursery so that even the father can't hold the baby.

Both Dr. Patrick Chan and Dr. Grace Cheung regularly deliver at the Matilda.

The list you get from the hospital is all the doctors who have rights to use the hospital - not necessarily the one that usually use that hospital.

megan2008 is offline Registered User

Union Hospital

I have heard good things about both hospitals. I just delivered at Union in August and had a great experience. They actually have started allowing the baby to go in the room to breastfeed (started in Sept.). Also, they never asked me to choose natural verses c section but my doctor could do both. You can see him at Union hospital and his name is: Dr. Raymond Chung Ng . He is a very calm reassuring doctor and will answer all of your questions. Hope that helps.

Thank you ladies-- barbwong, megan2008 and jaz1311 for sharing.

I called the Union today again to explain to them why I can't decide on Natural or C section doctor. They then suggested DR Connie Yuen, who can perform both. That was very helpful. I've heard some good reviews about her. I thought I am also more comfortable female doctor. so I booked an appointment with her for Nov 15 noon.

Please let me know if you have experience with DR Connie Yuen.

My husband and I live in the Mainland. It's a lot closer for us to get to Shantin. So, I guess I would settle on Union after taking all into consideration. I would love to go to Matilda if were not for the distance. I think that I would be wary of long trips when my stomach gets bigger.

I've heard good reviews about Union, except that they have a lot of Mainland mothers and it's "like a little shenzhen".

Megan's good experience there is reassuring. I am also from the Mainland and I am opting for a private room so I hope the private room that would help to improve my first birthing experience. I sure all of you would agree that when you feel sick or in pain, the last thing you want is discomfort from your surroundings. Thank you for insurance and I can choose the best when I need to.

I also plan to breastfeed. I would remember to check with the hospital about their rooming-in policy.

I will let you know more about my experience.

Thank you for all your advice. I love this forum.

e-mum is offline Registered User

I was under Dr Connie Yuen for all my kids (my 3.5 yr. old son & 1 yr. old b/g twins).

She speaks fluent English & Cantonese. She is v. busy. Be aware that you may have to wait up to 1-2hrs. to see her for appointments and when you do go in for your checkup, everything is conducted v. quickly. So have any questions prepared & written down so that you remember to ask them while you're there. Also there may be times when she has to go off to deliver a baby, so that will mean waiting for your appointment will take even longer!

My first son ended up to be a premature baby and we decided to get transfered to Prince of Wales Hospital (during my contractions) b/c of their Neonatal ICU service. PW hospital is only 10mins away from Union, so if you need to go to a public hospital for an emergency it's not far away. I find Dr Connie Yuen v. professional and would recommend her.

My twin pregnancy went fine & delivered via C-section at 37 weeks at Union. I stayed in a lovely single private room (w/ great facilities) & was given the option of having the babies staying in my room during the day. I don't think this is possible for the twin rooms & rooms w/ 4 beds. But check anyway. I had my twins in Sept. 2007.

Why don't you ring up the hospitals to arrange for an appointment to be shown around before you make up your mind?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast