Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

baby bassinet onboard flight for 8 month old?

pangmei is offline Registered User

baby bassinet onboard flight for 8 month old?

We will be flying HK - Sydney at Christmas. When Finn was 3 months old, we flew with Qantas and used their baby bassinet onboard with no problems.

We can either fly with Qantas or Cathay Pacific but both have restrictions for baby bassinet use.

For Qantas, their website states that "the recommended age limit for bassinet use on international flights is eight months. The weight limit is 11kg (25lbs) ... infants who are too large for bassinets are not entitled to a seat and must be nursed".

For Cathay, "a bassinet can carry up to 12kgs. Please note however a baby older than 6 months may feel uncomfortable in a bassinet".

Finn is now 6 months old and already weighs 9.25kg. So by the time we fly, he will be 8 months old and likely to be 11+ kg ...

Has anyone had experience with either airline refusing their baby a bassinet because they are too heavy?

Waterfront mum is offline Registered User

I flew from HK to Melbourne with Qantas when my son was 8 months old and had no problems with the bassinet - in saying that he was lighter than your son -close to 9kg.

I've also flown to Ireland with Qantas when he was 1 (May 07) and he was in the bassinet the whole time too. From the Singapore leg, there was child beside us whose legs were hanging out over the edge of his bassinet..

Last Christmas when my son was 17/18 months old we did a return flight from Melb-Tokyo and again used the bassisnet. I can't remember what weight he was (not recorded in my child health book)

Personally I've never been refused a bassinet (no matter what weight he was) and it would be a major pain to fly to Sydney without one. You can put the request in on line for one, reconfirm it before you go and maybe get to the airport early just in case they are all booked up.. dont worry they won't weigh him at checkin :-)

Best of luck.

MLBW Guest

I don't think they will refuse a baby bassinet if your son happens to be right at the weight limit or even a little over.

They are not going to weigh him before you get on the plane. Now, if he is an exceptionally large-looking baby and is over the weight limit there might be a problem--but with two quality air liners like Qantas and Cathay they would look ridiculous (and malicious and mean) if they were to deny the bassinet to him because they "guesstimate" he is too heavy.

When I flew with my son from HK to the USA in August he was 8 1/2-months-old, and right at 23ish pounds but I thought he was more like 25ish pounds (we were using a home-scale for a last minute weigh). The stewardess did ask me how much he weighed and I told her 23 pounds and she was fine with that. He could have actually weighed much more and I'm sure she wouldn't have given me a hassle about it.

Even now that my son is 10 1/2-months old and walking/running he still weighs that 23-pounds (hasn't gained weight as he has been eating the same amount of food but burning it off faster with all his exercise!)

Having said all that, I wouldn't sweat it at all! And if you are super concerned, have your doctor write a note that states, "This baby is ____ pounds/kilos."

pangmei is offline Registered User

Waterfront mum & MLBW, thanks for your replies. It's good to know that you have both been able to use bassinets on board with older/heavier babies.

LeahH is offline Registered User

I've just been on Air NZ with a 13 month old bub who was 11.5 kgs. it wasn't a brilliant fit, but we squished her into the bassinette! Staff were hellpful and encouraging re. getting her in there - noone mentioned weight.

Also, if it's a mid week flight and not full, you may get a few seats free that they will block off for you when you check in. I've found sometimes that this is a good option as you can lift the arms and make up a little bed with cushions.

MilkMonster is offline Registered User

In case they don't allow you to use the bassinet, I would forgo the bulkhead seat and ask for an extra seat where you can lift the arm rest. Bring along a big flat sheet so you can turn the seats into a bed yourslef. I flew a 15hr flight to Toronto with a 9mth old alone and didn't get the bassinet. You can see our photos on the flight here:
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...3&id=693484497

have a great trip!

jaz1311 is offline Registered User

Hi

I can imagine how terrible it is to fly to toronto w/o a bassinet alone with a baby. I would be flying back 2 toronto with my boy when he is about 3 months old too.

MilkMonster is offline Registered User

I actually think the younger they are the easier it is. Under 1yrs old is much easier than flying with a 12, 13, 14mth old. Especially if they are not really communicating yet. There can be lots of crying. At 9mths my son did sleep for quite a long portion of the flight and he was small enough for me to manage carrying him around. at 12mths, it was a whole different baby... haha you can read about our return flight to hk here:
    http://blog.milkmonsterlaughs.com/20...r-3-weeks.html

Keep in mind we didn't have a good experience then but we have since flown to Hua Hin and Singapore and it has been better. Don't want to scare anyone ;)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast