Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

when babies turn 1

MLBW Guest

Everything I have read says you can start feeding your child goat or cow's milk before they are 1-years-old but you mix half formula or half breast milk and half goat or cow's milk. My son just turned 11-months-old and we've been doing this for the past couple of months (we started when he was about 9 1/2 months old and most of my friends have done this) so by the time he turns a year old at the end of this month, he will be able to drink full goat or cow's milk. In this way, I can be confident that for his first birthday I know what ingredients I can use in his cake/treat.

If your child is allergic to cow's milk, you will know it--he will have some reaction to it. It's not likely that this reaction will be life-threatening but is more likely to be associated with tummy pains, vomiting, a rash or some other outward symptoms. If you try it and he has a reaction, you will then be able to go forward with confidence. If he does have a reaction to cow's milk, goat's milk is a good alternative that often works (my son drink's goat's milk although he is not allergic to cow's milk). I have a friend who feeds her son mostly soy milk, although it isn't as nutritionally full or balanced as animal's milk, it can be used if you supplement for the other nutrients. However, when I asked about feeding soy products to my son, my lactation consultant sent me research from my son's pediatrician that shows that feeding babies diets high in soy is similar to feeding them a "birth control pill" as there are natural substances in soy that mimic the hormone estrogen. Anyway....something to check into.

capital is offline Banned

Cows milk and other dairy foods, yogurt cheese, etc is fine to give as an occsional thing, even now. The waiting to age one thing is about replacing the main source of milk, like switching from breastmilk or formula to cow's milk shouldn't be done unitl age one because having large amounts of cows milk can be hard on the kidneys. I wouldn't worry about the milk in the cake. You won't know if he is allergic until you try it, just like all foods.

Here is a good link on solid foods, the guidlines have been recently updated, so the information is very current

http://www.health.alberta.ca/public/...ding-guide.pdf

MLBW Guest

Hey Jackie,

That is interesting that you would bring up the walking and teething. Actually developmental stages can really affect a child's sleep, I think.

Now that I think about it, my son took his first step at 8 1/2 months old and now he is 11-months old and can run, squat, climb and jump. And, he goes down to sleep earlier (used to be 8:30 pm, now he is like asleep by 6 pm!). He has also "thinned up" a bit--as he is working off a lot more calories now that he is mobile.

I wonder about other moms out there. Did your child sleep better after he/she started moving around more?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12