Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Baby stopped growing?

TeamNZ is offline Registered User

Baby stopped growing?

Hi, I went for a checkup today and I am measuring only 28cm/28 weeks when I am 32 weeks tomorrow. They have referred me back to the hospital (POW) and I have an appointment in another two weeks.

I had never heard of this before and all other scans and checkups have been on target. My first little person was 10lbs.

Has anybody else had this happen? I/we are not sure if we should be worried or even if there is anything I can do?

What does it really mean? I was asked numerous times if my due date had changed.... no, it has stayed the same.

I am trying not to be too concerned until I know more but it did send hubby and I into a quiet panic. I figure it can't be too bad if the hospital are comfortable to wait 2 weeks to see me again?

But of course having a look on the internet does nothing for my sanity - Intrauterine Growth Retardation (IUGR) sounds so scary!

Last edited by TeamNZ; 11-05-2008 at 08:46 PM. Reason: missed something out...

SyL
    SyL is offline Registered User

I'm sorry you're worried. I had a similar experience with my first and couldn't stop worrying because it was around 29 weeks, but it seemed more like 26. The clinic booked me a scan within a few days and that scared me because they wanted to check things out fast. The scan seemed to take longer than usual and there was nothing unusual--it was just the way I was carrying.

Do try not to think about it so much--don't google it eather because you'll come across things that won't apply to you. Good Luck.

Natalie'sMom is offline Registered User

This happened to me with my daughter. She was growing right on track and then my measurements dropped. I had a scan and she was 100% fine, she had just started to descend into my pelvis. You can also have the same problem is baby is facing out or in an odd position. Try not to worry, I'm sure everything is fine.

Frenchy is offline Registered User

Just make sure your baby is growing at next scan, as it could also be your placenta not "feeding" enough your baby. In that case (and only with a doctor advice), you'll be able to wait a few weeks more, but with a close control of your pregnancy.
    I don't want to stress you for no reason, hopefully everything will be fine next time, but some other reasons also exists and it's always better to check.
    Good luck, take care :)

TeamNZ is offline Registered User

Thanks everyone, really good to know there are others that have had this and its been no major issue.

I am still putting on weight and my tummy does seem to be growing, logic tells me this wouldn't be happening if there was a real issue.

Just need to try and forget about it for a couple of weeks and get some rest I figure.

Actually hubby seems to much more stressed about it.... darling male, needs some immediate answers...

rebekah is offline Registered User

you could call a private ob and pay for a scan sooner, if you want

katelynBB is offline Registered User

I had the same problem too at about 31 weeks, the baby wasn't gaining since the last appt. My doctor was worried, so she had me go back a week later and during the one week, she told me to eat well, rest well and not stress too much.
    So I kept eating whenever I could and basically became a couch potato for a week to see if the baby gained weight, and the next week, everything came back fine!
    So don't worry too much, rest as much as you can and try not too think too much until your next scan and there's more to compare.

~Theresa~